Nationals of non-European countries can travel to the 26 Schengen countries in Europe for up to 90 days in 180 days with a single Schengen visa. A Schengen tourist visa is a short-term C category visa. Whether you are visiting friends and family or going on a leisure trip, you need to obtain a Schengen tourist visa from India to travel to European countries belonging to the Schengen Area.
Key features of Schengen visit visa
A tourist visa for Europe is one of Schengen visa types for Indians looking to travel to EU countries located in the Schengen Zone. As per the Schengen Agreement, a short-stay Schengen visa is valid for the entire Schengen area. Here are the key features of a Schengen tourist visa for Indians:
- You can visit and stay in several European countries for up to 90 days in a 6 months period.
- The applicant is required to apply for a visa to the country he/she will be visiting or the country where he/she will be spending the highest number of days. If you are planning to spend an equal number of days in all countries, apply to a country in which you step first.
- While the Schengen visa processing time depends on the embassy of the country to which you are applying for a visa, typically it takes 2 weeks or less to process the Europe visa application.
- Once you have obtained a Schengen tourist visa from India, you don’t have to face the hassle of applying for a visa in any of the Schengen countries.
Schengen tourist visa requirements
You need to meet the following Schengen tourist visa requirements to avail the visa.
Eligibility for Schengen tourist visa
Citizens of countries that don’t have a visa liberalization agreement with the European Union can apply for the visa. The reason for traveling to Europe and the time frame must be justified.
Documents required for a Schengen tourist visa
The following documents are required along with the filled Schengen visa application form:
- Original passport with a minimum validity of three months beyond your planned stay in Schengen. The passport must have at least two blank pages.
- Travel itinerary.
- Recent photographs, in compliance with the Schengen visa photo criteria.
- Copy of the confirmed airline ticket to return from Schengen.
- Travel health insurance that covers medical emergencies for your whole period of stay.
- Proof of accommodation.
- Proof of accommodation, such as hotel booking, rent agreement, letter of tour organizer, etc.
- Latest bank statement for the past six months.
- Sponsorship letter if another person is sponsoring your trip to the Schengen Zone.
- Invitation letter, if applicable.
You need to submit the visa application at the particular embassy/ consulate in India where you will be entering first or spending the most number of days during your trip. You should apply for a Schengen tourist visa from India at least two weeks before the planned departure date of the trip.
Schengen tourist visa validity
With a Schengen tourist visa, you can reside in the Schengen Zone for a maximum period of 90 days in 180. If you need to stay in the area for more than 90 days, apply for the same at the embassy/ consulate again.
Schengen tourist visa application
The visa application process of the Schengen visa for Indians may slightly vary depending on the requirements of the embassy of your destination country. Here are a few common steps that you need to take to file your Schengen tourist visa application:
- Determine the visa type you need to apply for based on the planned trip.
- Fill in the application for a Schengen tourist visa.
- Collect the required documents for a tourist visa.
- Schedule a visa interview at the embassy of your destination country.
- Show up at the interview.
- Share your biometric data with the embassy.
- Pay the Schengen visitor visa fees.
Schengen tourist visa fee for Indians
Schengen visa fee for Indian applicants is as under:
|Category||Schengen tourist visa fee in INR||Schengen tourist visa fee in EURO|
|Minor (6 – 12 years)||Rs. 3472.33||€40|
|Younger than 6 years||Free||Free|
NRIs living in the Schengen countries may have several India related queries. To ask any questions related to the rights of NRIs, PIOs, and OCIs, you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. You can also use the SBNRI app for investment in stock market/ mutual funds, NRI account opening, tax filing, etc. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also, visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.
Primarily there are three categories of the Schengen visa:
– Short stay visa: This is a single or multiple-entry visa that allows you to stay in the Schengen territory for up to 90 days in six months.
– Long-stay visa: Issued for a stay exceeding 90 days. The national legislation will apply for this type of visa.
– Airport transit visa: Issued for people transiting through a Schengen country’s airport from another country to a third country.
If you are planning to travel to two or more Schengen countries, you should apply for the visa at the embassy or consulate of the country in which you will be spending the highest number of days. If you are planning to spend an equal number of days in all countries, apply to a country in which you step first.