Indian passport holders significantly contribute to the tourism industry of the Schengen Area. Indian citizens need to obtain a Germany visa for Indians to enter the country for the purpose of tourism, studies, job, medical treatment or businesss. In order to obtain the appropriate German visa from India, you need to have the right information on types of German visa for Indians, the application process and fees, and required documents.
For example, if you are planning to visit Germany for the purpose of tourism, you need to apply for a Germany tourist visa from India. You can travel and stay in Germany for a period of up to 90 days in 180 days with a German tourist visa. The visa also allows you to travel to other Schengen countries while the visa is valid.
Types of Germany Visa for Indians
You can apply for a Germany visa from India depending on the purpose of your visit and period of stay in Germany from this list of Germany visa types. You need to apply for a Schengen visa (short-stay), also known as a C-type visa, if you plan to stay in Germany for a short trip not exceeding 90 days, and if you have to stay in Germany longer than 90 days, you will need to get a German long-stay visa, formally known as D-type visa.
Here are the types of visas issued by the German government for Indian citizens and passport holders.
- Germany tourist/ visit visa from India: Indians planning to visit Germany for the purpose of tourism, holidays, sightseeing, cultural events, etc. or to visit their family and friends in Germany need to get a German tourist visa. This type of visa is also known as Germany Schengen visa as it entitles the holder to visit other Schengen countries.
- Student applicant visa: Indian students who wish to pursue education in Germany, but still haven’t got the confirmation letter from the college/ university or haven’t decided the right program can apply for a student applicant visa or Visum Zur Studienbewerbung.
- Student visa: If you have already received a confirmation letter from a German university, you can apply for a (Visum Zu Studienzwecken) Germany student visa from India.
- Student internship visa: For Indian students who want to visit Germany to participate in an internship or a training program not exceeding 90 days.
- Visa for job seekers: Indians who want to enter Germany for the purpose of getting a job can get a German visa.
- Language course visa: Indians interested in learning the German language in Germany can apply for a language course visa.
- Germany airport transit visa for Indians: Indian travelers who have to transit through a German airport to their destination country need to get a transit visa.
- Business visa: For an Indian who has to attend a business meeting and execute other business activities in Germany.
- Germany work visa from India: Indians who have a job offer in Germany or wish to come to Germany to work need to get a Germany work visa from India. The visa can be used to work on a paid job.
- Guest scientist visa: For Indian scientists and scholars who have invitations from a credible institution in Germany to carry out research.
- Training/ internship visa: Indians traveling to Germany for industrial training or to do an internship in their field.
- Medical treatment visa: Indian patients can come to Germany for medical treatment with this visa.
- Trade fair & exhibitions visa: The visa allows Indians to enter Germany to take part in a trade fair or exhibition in their field of profession or business.
Depending on the German visa type that an Indian citizen has obtained to stay in the territory of Germany or Schengen, he/she will be allowed to stay for a specific period of time, and can be allowed to work or not.
Documents required for Germany Visa for Indian citizens
Here is the checklist of documents you need to submit to apply for a Germany visa from India:
- Visa application form: Completed German visa application form with the required information.
- Valid passport: Indian passport having a validity of at least 3 months beyond your planned stay in Germany. The passport should have at least two blank pages for the visa stamp.
- Photographs: Two photographs meeting the standards set by the ICAO.
- Proof of accommodation: Accommodation proof showing the address of the location where you will be staying in Germany, such as a hotel booking slip, an invitation letter by your friend or relative, etc.
- Round-trip flight itinerary: A copy of the round trip airline reservation that includes passenger details, the date you enter and leave Germany.
- Travel health insurance: You need to obtain health insurance that covers the period of your planned stay in Germany and the Schengen Area.
- Financial statements: Financial documents that show you have sufficient money to fund your trip to Germany.
Also Read: UK Visa fees for Indian Citizens 
Additional Documents required for German visa as per your employment status
- For employed applicants:
- Employment contract
- Bank account statement for the latest 6 months
- Leave permission from the employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax
- For self-employed applicants:
- A copy of your business license in India
- Bank statement of the business for the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- For students:
- Proof of enrollment
- NOC (No-objection certificate) from school/ university
- Retired individuals
- Latest 6 months pension statement
Additional Germany Visa requirements for Minor Applicants
Children applying for a short-stay visa for Germany from India need to submit additional documents as under:
- Birth certificate of the minor applicant.
- German visa application form attested by both parents.
- Family court order in case a single parent has full custody of the child.
- Certified copies of ID/ passport of both parents.
- A notarized copy of the parental authorization to travel to Germany, attested by both parents/ guardians if the minor is traveling alone.
Note: The parent or guardian should accompany their underage children to the German embassy/ consulate in India.
Documents required for a German Schengen visa for the spouse of a German citizen
The spouse of a German national/ citizen needs to provide the following documents to apply for a German visa:
- Proof of German citizenship of your spouse – ID card/ consular card/ certification of German nationality or naturalization order
- German marriage certificate
- German family record book
Germany Visa Application Process for Indians
Here are the steps you need to follow to apply for a Germany visa for Indians:
- Find out the German visa you need to apply for.
- Fill out the online visa application form.
- Book an appointment online to the German consulate/ embassy
- Show up in the interview on time.
- Provide your biometrics, fingerprints and a digital image.
- Pay the German visa application fee for Indians.
Germany Visa fees for Indian Citizens 2023
The cost of a Germany short-stay visa for Indians is €80. However, the German Schengen fees vary based on the type of visa you are applying for and how old you are. Here is the checklist of Germany visa fees in Indian rupees for 2023:
|Visa category||Fee in INR||Fee in EUR|
|German visa for adults||Rs. 7100*||€80|
|German visa for children aged between 6-12 years||Rs. 3600*||€40|
|Children below 6 years||Free||Free|
|Diplomatic, official or service passport holders traveling Germany for official purpose||Free||Free|
|A family member of an EU/ EEA national||Free||Free|
|Indian students and accompanying teachers on a school trip||Free||Free|
|Indian researchers traveling to perform scientific research||Free||Free|
Note: The German visa fee in INR (Indian Rupees) is subject to the current exchange rate.
How long can you stay in Germany with a visa?
The validity of your German visa will depend on the type of visa you applied for:
|Germany Schengen visa||90 days in a period of 180 days|
|Germany airport transit visa||24 hours|
|Germany business visa for Indians||90 days in a period of 180 days|
|Germany students visa for Indians||3 months (If you have not received a formal admission letter yet).|
|Job seeker visa||6 months|
|Research and Guest Scientist visa for Germany||3 months up to 6 months (can be longer depending on the duration of research)|
|German language course visa||3 months|
|Freelancer entry visa||3 months|
|Germany freelancer long-stay visa||1 – 3 years|
|Temporary Germany work permit||1 – 3 years (based on the contract)|
|Germany family reunion visa||1 year (initially)|
|Germany EU Blue Card||4 years (with required extension)|
If you apply for a long-stay Germany visa, your entry (D visa) is valid for three to six months initially. After you enter Germany, you can get a temporary permit valid for 1 to 3 years depending on your visa type.
German Long-stay Visas in Germany longer than 90 days
To stay in Germany for longer than 90 days, you need to apply for one of the German long-stay visas for Indians. The Germany long-stay visas are issued for stays exceeding 90 days for different purposes of travel than the short-stay visas.
Upon your arrival in Germany, you will have to get a German residence permit based on the purpose of the visa that has been granted.
- Germany employment residence permit: Indians who get a job offer in Germany after seeking work under a job seeker visa.
- Germany student residence permit: Indian students who will be participating in a training program or studying at a university. The visa is issued for the length of the course.
- Germany family reunion residence permit: Indian family members of German residents for the purpose of family reunification.
- Germany EU blue card: This residence permit is issued for highly skilled workers who wish to work in their area of expertise in Germany.
- Permanent residence permit: Indians who wish to settle in Germany permanently.
German Visa Application Processing Time in India
In general, a German visa application is processed in 10 to 15 working days by the German Embassy in India. The Embassy of Germany in Delhi is the only competent body to assess visa applications. However, there might be delays of a few days depending on the specific status of the applicant.
German Visa Application Center in India
There is only one German Embassy in India i.e. in Delhi and four consulates, as follows:
- German Embassy (New Delhi)
- German Consulate (Bengaluru)
- German Consulate (Chennai)
- German Consulate (Kolkata)
- German Consulate (Mumbai)
VFS Global Germany Visa Application Centers in India
You can apply for a German visa in India through one of the 16 VFS application centers across India.
VFS Germany visa application center, New Delhi
VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd.
Shivaji Stadium Metro Station, Mezzanine Level
Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Connaught Place
New Delhi – 110001
VFS Germany visa application center, Chandigarh
VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd.
Elante Offices, Entry from Gate No. 3, Unit no. B 209, Second Floor,
Office Block B, Plot no. 178 – 178A, Industrial & Business Park, Phase – I,
Chandigarh (U T) 160002
VFS Germany visa application center, Jalandhar
VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd.
3rd floor, Aman Plaza, Plot No 310, Lajpat Nagar, Mahavir Marg,
Nakodar Chowk, (opposite to lovely autos), Jalandhar, Punjab – 144001
VFS Germany visa application center, Gurgaon
VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd.
ILD Trade Centre,
4th Floor, Sector 47
Sohna Road, Gurgaon – 122001
VFS Germany visa application center, Jaipur
VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd.
Manglam Ambition Tower
1st Floor, Agrasen Circle (Malan ka Chauraha), Subhash Marg, C Scheme
VFS Germany visa application center, Kolkata
VFS Global Services Pvt Ltd.
5th Floor, Rene Tower, Plot No. AA-I
1842 Rajdanga Main Road, Kasba
NRIs living in Germany may have several India-related queries. If you’re looking for any assistance for NRI services such as NRI account opening, NRI Demat account, NRI investment or taxation, experts at SBNRI can help you out with everything. Download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store to ask any questions related to NRI services. Also visit our blog and Youtube Channel for more details.
Is it easy to get German visa for Indians?
- The visa application process requires various inputs like documentation, processing time, fees alongside the need to visit the consultant or the embassy for the visa interview. These all take time. Often times, the German visa for Indians can be processed within 15-30 days while at times it may take even two months.
How much does Germany visa cost in India?
- The cost of a Germany short-stay visa for Indians is €80 for adults and €40 for kids aged 6-12 years old. The visa is free for kids less than 6 years of age.
How can I get German visa appointment in India?
- You can apply for a German visa in India through one of the 16 VFS application centers across India and get visa appointment.
How many days does German visa take?
- In general, a German visa application is processed in 10 to 15 working days by the German Embassy in India. The Embassy of Germany in Delhi is the only competent body to assess visa applications. However, there might be delays of a few days depending on the specific status of the applicant.
Is there an interview for German visa?
- Yes. Students from abroad requiring a visa for studying in Germany must undergo the visa interview process at the German Embassy/Consulate in their local area. The scheduled day for your appointment also serves as your interview day.