It is mandated that all pensioners, residents, and Non-resident Indians (NRIs) should submit their life certificate or Jeevan Pramaan Patra to receive their monthly pension. The period for the submission of the life certificate is from October 1 to November 23, 2023. Find out all about how Jeevan Pramaan Patra for NRIs works and how to submit the certificate online from your country of residence.
What is Jeevan Pramaan Patra?
Jeevan Pramaan Patra is the life certificate that every pensioner above 80 years and above needs to submit to the pension distributing authorities to receive the pension. The government has mandated the certificate to be submitted by November 2023. It is a Digital life certificate under the Government of India’s Pension Scheme supported by the biometric authentication system. It is mandatory for both residents and NRIs to help make the payout hassle free.
How to submit Jeevan Pramaan Patra for NRIs?
There are two ways to submit the Jeevan Pramaan Patra. Pensioners can submit it physically by visiting the nearest bank branch or the service provider branch. However, NRIs residing outside India, are exempt from physical presence if they can follow these steps.
- In case of NRI pensioner or family pensioner residing abroad and drawing their pension via banks included in the Second Schedule of Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934, the life certificate can be signed by officer of the bank.
- NRI pensioners can also authorise their agent to present the certificate signed by a magistrate, notary, banker or diplomatic representive of India.
- NRI pensioners also have the option to provide a digitial life certificate online through the biometric authentication system under Aadhar.
What happens in case of death of NRI pensioner?
If the NRI pensioners pass away, then the process for family pension should be started. For this, here’s what needs to be done:
- If the pensioner and the spouse of the joint account, then Form 14 required is waived.
- If there is no joint account then, the spouse should notify the pension disbursing bank about the NRI pensioner’s death and request for the family pension via a letter.
- The letter should contain the copy of pensioner’s death certificate, PPO, proof of age, and commitment to reclaim excess payment.
Who can enroll under Jeevan Pramaan Patra?
Individuals who avail of pension from authorities like the state government, central government, or any other government organization can utilize this digital-based Jeevan Pramaan Patra. This certificate is valid under the IT Act and eliminates the need for physical verification before the pension disbursement agency. The pensioner needs to register for Jeevan Pramaan Patra for NRIs to enroll in it.
Also read: Pravasi Pension Scheme for NRIs & Residents
Documents Required for the Jeevan Pramaan Patra
An NRI pensioner needs to submit the vital documents regarding the pension along with these requisitions for creating and generating online Jeevan Pramaan Patra for NRIs:
- Aadhar Number
- Registered mobile number
Eligibility for Jeevan Pramaan Patra
Individuals meeting the subsequent criteria are qualified to acquire a Jeevan Pramaan Patra:
- The applicants should be recipients of a pension.
- The applicants should be former employees of either the Central or State Government.
- The applicants must hold a valid Aadhaar card.
- The applicants’ Aadhaar number must be linked to their respective pension disbursing authority.
The Jeevan Pramaan Patra is a significant step towards modernizing and simplifying the pension verification process for Indian retirees, including NRIs. It not only reduces the burden of physical visits but also enhances the security and accuracy of life certificate submissions.
Looking for Dedicated NRI Services: Connect with SBNRI
For any NRI banking services like NRI account opening, NRI investment, Demat account opening, taxation, etc., you can get in touch with us. Get extensive and in-depth learning access for NRIs through our blog and YouTube channel.
Also, for instant support, you can directly connect with our experts using the button below and schedule a call (if required) to get one-on-one access. Think India! Think SBNRI!
What is a Jeevan Pramaan Patra, and why is it important for NRIs?
- The Jeevan Pramaan Patra, also known as the Digital Life Certificate, is a digital initiative by the Indian government to simplify the process of submitting life certificates for pensioners. It is crucial for NRIs to ensure the continuous disbursement of their pension benefits without the need for a physical presence in India.
Can NRIs submit their life certificates from abroad, or do they need to visit India in person?
- NRIs do not necessarily need to visit India in person to submit their life certificates. They can utilize Jeevan Pramaan Centers at Indian embassies, consulates, or High Commissions to facilitate the submission process.
What are the requirements for NRIs to submit their Jeevan Pramaan Patra?
- NRIs must have an Aadhaar card, and their Aadhaar number should be linked to their respective pension disbursing agency. This linkage is essential for the Aadhaar-enabled biometric authentication required for the life certificate submission.
What should NRIs do if they face difficulties or have questions during the Jeevan Pramaan Patra submission process?
- NRIs can seek assistance from their nearest Indian embassy, consulate, or High Commission. They can also reach out to the dedicated support services provided by their pension disbursing agency to address any concerns or queries during the submission process.
What happens if an NRI fails to submit their Jeevan Pramaan Patra on time?
- Delay or failure to submit the Jeevan Pramaan Patra on time may result in the suspension of pension disbursements. It is essential for NRIs to adhere to the submission schedule to avoid disruptions in their pension benefits.