A common doubt that troubles NRIs about their NRI passport renewal all over the world is whether they should opt for Renewal or Reissue of their Indian Passport as it reaches its expiry date. Let’s focus on the fundamentals: An Ordinary Indian Passport is issued with a validity of 10 years which can be renewed for another 10 years. So, if your passport is nearing its 10-year expiry date, it is suggested that you renew it for another 10 years. Now, you should aim for renewal within 1 year before expiry as your passport must have a validity of at least 6 months for seamless traveling. Now, if your passport has reached its expiry and by any chance you didn’t renew it then in that case you need to apply for a reissue of your passport.
Making it clear for NRIs, once again:
|Passport reaching expiry
|Yes; can be renewed for another 10 years. Apply within 1 year before expiry
|No; but reissue necessary if you fail to apply for renewal and passport expires
|No; Can’t renew
|What happens to Passport Number
|New Passport number granted
Indian Passport for NRI: Renewal vs Reissue
Now, renewal of passport will only be done before expiry but there are various reasons for Reissue of Indian Passport, which are:
- Validity Expired/Due to expire
- Change in personal particulars
- Exhaustion of pages
- Damage/Loss of Passport
Having cleared the basic doubts, let’s move ahead and understand the processes involved with Renewal and Reissue of Indian Passport for NRI. Fundamentally, the process for Indian passport renewal for NRIs and reissue is the same: Apply online, Visit PSK (Passport Seva Kendra), Verification (Police Verification is subject to changes required). Let’s explore these steps as per the situation.
NRI Passport Renewal Process for NRIs within India
- Applying Online: Fill the application form online on Passport Seva Portal as a new user (if not registered as existing user) and opt for Renewal/Reissue while submitting the details. You’ll need to fill the following details:
- Type of Application (Normal or Tatkal passport application)
- You can fill the application online or download it and upload after filling
- You’ll have to book an appointment along with time slot at your nearest PSK
- Pay online or through challan and schedule the appointment
- Print Application Receipt and carry it to the PSK accompanied by other documents
- Visiting Passport Seva Kendra (PSK): You need to be present at the PSK along with all the required documents at the selected time slot. There you will have to follow the process through 3 counters A, B & C following initial verification of documents.
- Counter A: Your Photograph and biometrics taken/updated
- Counter B: Original Documents verified
- Counter C: Application status check with further guidance and approvals
- Police Verification: Under normal applications, Police verification is done before the passport is issued and for Tatkal applications, passports are issued first followed by Police Verification. But in case of reissue and renewal, police verification is not always necessary. Let’s understand when it is required:
- If your address and other particulars are unchanged in case of renewal or reissue of passport (reissued within 3 years of expiry), no police verification is required
- For passports reissued after 3 years of expiry, police verification is necessary
- If you want to change your permanent address in the renewed/reissued passport, then police verification will take place
- Also, if your application has any discrepancy, then police verification will be required
NRI Passport Renewal Process for NRIs from outside India or Overseas
- Apply at VFS Global
- Identify the consular for your jurisdiction in your city of residence.
- Book an appointment at the VFS, for renewal of your NRI passport.
- Fill out and submit the form
- Now take the VFS order form or Indian passport renewal form for NRI and fill it out with the right details. Once you’ve filled out the form, attach the required documents for the renewal of your NRI passport overseas. (The required documents for NRI passport Renewal is provided below)
- A few of the documents will need to be notarized and hence it is advised to get them notarized accordingly.
- Pay the passport renewal fee
- Once you’ve filled and submitted the form with the required documents, you’ll need to pay the fees for the renewal of your NRI passport. The fees vary according to the country from where you’re applying for the renewal of your NRI passport.
- Typically, these payments are made in the form of cash.
- Await for the processing time
- The renewal/reissue of your NRI Passport in Overseas will generally take a period of three weeks to eight weeks depending on the nation you’re applying it from. Once the processing is done, you’ll receive your renewed or reissued NRI passport.
Short Validity Passport (SVP) Renewal
There are some passports that are issued with a short validity (1 year to 5 years) and are issued to the following people:
- Students going out for international examinations
- In case of non delivery of passport
- People with pending criminal cases
- Indians Residing overseas planning a short trip to India
Note: These SVPs can also be renewed and the validity of passport would be decided by Assistant Passport Officer /RPO.
Also Read: How to check Passport Status in India
Documents Required for NRI Passport Renewal/Reissue
|1. Old Passport original
2. Educational Qualification Proof
3. Permanent address proof in India
4. Marriage certificate (in case if you are married)
5. Spouse passport ( for endorsing spouse name in your passport)
6. Travel tickets (in case of Tatkal Passports)
7. Overseas Address Proof (Utility Bill, Residence Permit etc.)
8. In case of a name change or address change, proof documents supporting the new details are required.
|1. Old Passport in original
2. Self-attested photocopy of its first two and last two pages, including ECR/Non-ECR page (previously ECNR) and the page of observation (if any), made by Passport Issuing Authority and validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport
Charges for NRI Passport Renewal/Reissue
There are no charges for renewal of Indian Passport for NRI. Reissue charges are Rs.2000 and Rs.4000 for Normal and Tatkal categories respectively.
The process of renewal and reissue of passport for NRI is simple if there are no changes in the details. If the address or any other detail has to be changed then a police verification might follow. So, it is advised that you stay prepared and have the basics cleared out. In this article, we had a similar motive: To clear the basic doubts of our NRI Friends all around the globe. If you have any more queries, contact our experts for instant query resolution.
GREAT NEWS! Now connect with our expert directly on WhatsApp using the button below.
Indian Passport for NRI: FAQs
Yes. An NRI can renew his/her passport in India by following a simple 3 step process: Apply online, Visit PSK, Police Verification (if necessary).
How to Check Passport Status in India:
1. Visit the official passport website and select the ‘Track Your Application Status’ tab.
2. From the drop-down menu, select the type of application from among the options listed.
3. Enter the 15-digit file number (given to you while submitting the application) and your date of birth in the format prescribed and click on ‘Track Status’.
The fee for application of passport in India is Rs. 1000 (for minors under Normal option) and Rs. 2000 (for adults under Normal option) with additional Rs.2000 tatkal fee (in case of tatkal applications).
You can apply for a re-issue of passport up to 1 year before the expiry or within three years after the expiry of the existing passport without fresh police verification, provided there is no change in personal particulars and there is clear police report with respect to your previous passport and there is no adverse entry in the system. You can also apply for re-issue of passport if your previous passport expired more than three years ago, but fresh police verification would take place.
Yes. Indian passports can be renewed abroad by contacting the respective Indian consulate in your country of residence. However, every country will have slightly different processes, document requirements and charges. Therefore, it is advised to report the consulate directly or visit its website.
The process of police verification for NRI passport renewal may be dependent on the documents submitted and the information provided. At times, police verification is needed during the process of issuance of a passport.
No, an Aadhar card is not mandatory for NRI passport renewal. However, starting in 2018, the Indian government has made it mandatory for all Indians including NRIs to link their Aadhar card with their Passport. You can renew your NRI passport and later link it with the Aadhar card if necessary.