A large number of Indian H1B visa holders live in the US with their spouses and children. A child born in the United States, even to foreign nationals, is automatically eligible for US citizenship. However, it is possible to obtain an Indian passport for a child born in USA to Indian parents.
Parents need to register their US-born child’s birth with the Indian consulate in USA if they want an Indian passport for him.
The child will be issued a separate passport that will be valid for five years from the date of issue. After that they can renew the Indian passport in the US. Now parents are not required to include the child’s name in their passport.
The parents should notice that:
- The kid is a US citizen by birth even if you obtain an Indian passport for him/ her.
- Parents can’t renounce their kid’s citizenship.
- The kid will decide his/ her citizenship after turning 18 years.
How to apply for Indian passport for child born in USA to Indian parents
The process of getting an Indian passport for a child born in USA to Indian parents is easier if parents don’t apply for a US passport after their child’s birth in the US.
Passport application process for US children
- The birth of a new born child in the USA to Indian parents should be registered at the Foreigners Division Ministry of Home Affairs Government of India website.
- Birth of the new born should be registered at the Embassy within one year of the child’s birth.
- Choose the application for “Passport for Children up to 18 years of age”.
- Apply for the passport in person or by mail.
In person application
- Fill the application form online and print it out.
- Schedule an appointment with the application center online.
- Visit the consular officer with all the supporting documents along with the application form.
- Both parents of the child have to be present at the center. If one of parents can’t attend, an authority or consent letter must be provided, authorizing the other parent to make the application.
- Submit the completed original application at the center.
- The Indian Consular Officer will verify the application and other documents.
Application by mail
- Enclose your documents with the application form and send them to the consular office.
- You can send your application via certified mail regardless of the date of appointment. Ensure your email generates a return receipt because the Indian passport application center doesn’t have a provision to acknowledge applications received through post.
- Applications sent through mail will be treated equally.
- Once approved, the passport will be delivered to the address mentioned on the application.
- In case you change your address during the application, you need to update the new address with the United States Postal Service.
- Submit a change of address form mentioning your new address.
Eligibility criteria for passport for child born in USA to Indian parents
- A child born in the USA to parents of Indian origin.
- Age of the child should be less than 18 years.
- If the child has a US passport, the application process for an Indian passport will be different.
Documents required for passport application
- Duly filled and cosigned passport application form.
- Notarized copy of birth certificate of the child including name of both parents.
- Photocopy of the record of landing or immigration documents/ Green card of parents.
- Details from the birth register that is issued by an Indian Mission in the United States.
- In case of Adjustment of Status (I-485), a copy of the parents EAD along with the I-485 receipt of the child.
- Proof of residence
- ‘Applicant’s state ID
- Proof of Address in the parent’s’ name
- Parents’ documents
- Photocopies of the first and last pages of both parents’ passports
- Photocopies of valid US visas of both parents
- In case parents are divorced, a photocopy of divorce certificate and the custodianship by order of the court needs to be submitted:
- In case one of the parents has died, a photocopy of the death certificate should be submitted.
- Cosigned NOC (No Objection Certificate) or affidavit from both parents.
Indian passport renewal in USA
Your kid’s passport will be valid for 5 years from the date of issue. However, you can apply for Indian passport renewal in USA. Besides, you will have to make an application for change of appearance as well until the child is 18 years old.
To ask any questions related to the rights of NRIs, PIOs, and OCIs, you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. You can also use the SBNRI app for investment in stock market/ mutual funds, NRI account opening, tax filing, etc. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also, visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.
Yes, you will need to obtain an Indian visa for a US-born child to travel to India, if your child has a US passport.
A child born in the USA automatically becomes a US citizen. US citizens don’t need a US visa to travel to the United States.
After the birth of your child in the US, don’t apply for a US passport. The Indian passport will be issued by the Indian Embassy in the USA.
Yes, they need to register their US-born child’s birth with the Indian consulate if they want an Indian passport for him.