A passport is a legal document issued under the Passport Act, 1967. Presently, the Ministry of External Affairs processes all passport applications online. Hence, to apply for a passport online, you need to register through the Passport Seva Online Portal and complete several steps for online passport application. Here is a step by step guide on how to apply for passport in India.
How to apply for a passport online
You need to follow the below steps when applying for a passport through the passport Seva Online portal:
Step 1: Passport Seva Registration
- Visit the official website of Passport Seva for user registration.
- Register through the Passport Seva Online Portal to create Passport Seva login credentials by following the steps below:
- Click on the ‘Register Now’ link. You will reach the Passport Seva User Registration page.
- Fill up the user registration form to create Passport Seva registration ID.
Step 2: Select the passport application
Once you log in to Passport Seva portal, you will need to select the relevant service from the options provided, such as:
- Fresh passport / reissue of passport
- Diplomatic or official passport
- Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)
- Identity certificate
Step 3: Fill in the application form
- Fill in the application form of the selected passport type online and submit the same.
- You can also fill the form partially and complete it later.
You can also fill out the passport application form offline by clicking on the link of the relevant form based on your application type. Then follow the steps below:
- Fill out the application form and click on the ‘Upload form link.
- Upload the filled form.
Step 4: Pay fees and book an appointment
Schedule an appointment at your nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) by taking the following steps:
- Click on the ‘View Saved/ Submitted Applications’ on the ‘Applicant Home’ page.
- Choose the ARN of the form you have submitted.
- Click on the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ option.
- Online payment is mandatory for booking an appointment at all PSK/ POPSK/ PO. You can use any of the following online payment methods:
- Credit/ debit card (MasterCard and Visa)
- Internet banking of SBI, associate banks and other banks.
- SBI Bank challan
- If you pay the passport fee online, you can book the appointment instantly.
- However, in case of challan, you will need to take the challan to an SBI branch and pay the required amount in cash. The bank takes 2 days to verify the ARN details printed on the challan.
- Successful fee payment will be displayed on the Passport Seva website after verification.
- You can track the payment status. You will also receive an update on email.
- Print Application Receipt containing Application Reference Number (ARN)/ Appointment Number.
Note: It is not mandatory to carry a printout of Application Receipt. You can show an SMS with your appointment details as proof of application during your visit to the Passport Office.
Attend the interview
- Visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/ Regional Passport Officer (RPO) along with original documents to attend the interview.
Documents required for a fresh passport application
Documentation will slightly vary depending on the type of passport you are applying for such as a fresh passport, ordinary passport, minor passport, reissue of passport, diplomatic or official passport etc.
Here are the documents required for a fresh ordinary passport:
- Photocopy of a passbook of running bank account in any RBI approved bank
- A voter’s ID card
- Recent passport size photographs
- Aadhaar card
- Electricity bill
- Rent agreement
- Driving license
- PAN card
- Landline or postpaid mobile bill
- Proof of gas connection
- School certificate
- Birth certificate issued by the Municipal Corporation
Indian passport holders living abroad, officially known as NRIs, as well as OCI and PIO cardholders, can approach SBNRI.com for any sort of online banking, investment, legal and a host of other financial services. For NRI services, including NRI investment in India, NRI account, NRI taxation, etc., you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.
You can apply for a passport through the Passport Seva Online portal. New users need to register themselves through the portal first to get Passport Seva login credentials. Then you can start applying for a passport, pay the passport application fee and schedule an appointment.
To change the address in a passport you will need to apply for the reissue of your passport. You will have to submit certain documents with the application and current address details.
Before submitting your application, you must verify the information first. However, you need to contact the CSE (Citizen Service Executive) at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) to change the address in your passport application after submitting the same.
Log in to the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) portal to cancel the submitted passport application at least three days before the date of appointment. Click on ‘Submitted/View Saved applications’ under the PSK portal and then proceed to ‘Schedule Appointment’ option. Now click on ‘Cancel’ option to cancel your passport application.