An Indian passport holder living and working on a visa in the USA for a number of years needs to apply for a new passport or valid extension if his/ her passport is about to expire or all the pages are filled. The best thing is that you don’t have to visit India for passport renewal or a new passport. You can apply for Indian passport renewal in USA with VFS Global.
Also Read: Indian Passport for NRI: Renewal vs Reissue
Indian passport renewal in USA
VFS Global is the service provider for passport services for the Embassy of India, Washington DC or its consulates in New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston and San Francisco since 04 November 2020. Here are some important points about the Indian passport renewal process.
- VFS Global provides all passport services to Indian citizens. Indian consulates don’t accept passport-related services directly. All correspondence and applications related to Indian passport renewal must be made via VFS Global.
- Applicants under the Consular Jurisdiction of the Embassy of India (living in Delaware, Bermuda, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia) looking for passport services can visit VFS Global website for details.
- You can apply for visa renewal via post and in-person (by prior appointment on a limited basis).
- Operational timing: Monday – Friday, 8:00 to 20:00 hours EST.
Passport renewal process
You can apply for passport renewal either in person or by post to VFS Global. The application procedure is the same for both modes. Here are the steps to be followed for visa renewal:
Step 1: Ensure the consular jurisdiction in which you want to apply for the passport services.
Here are the details about different consular jurisdictions in the USA.
|Consular Application Centers||Address||Center Timing||Consular Jurisdiction||Processing time|
|Washington DC||1025 Vermont Ave, NW Suite 320, Washington, DC 20005 (USA)||9 am to 2 pm|
Passport pickup: 4 pm to 6 pm Monday to Friday
|Bermuda, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia||– Minimum 1 to 3 weeks.|
– Maximum 6 weeks or more if the case is referred for clearance
|New York||145 W 45th Street, 3rd floor, New York 10036 (USA)||9 am to 2 pm Passport pickup: 4 pm to 6 PM Monday to Friday||Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Islnd and Vermont||Additional 10 days|
|Chicago (IL)||180 N Stetson Avenue, 20th Floor, Suite# 2075, Chicago, Illinois 60601||9 am to 2 pm passport pickup: 4 pm – 6 pm Monday to Friday||Missouri, IIllinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, and Wisconsin||– Minimum 4 weeks. |
– 6 weeks or more if the case is referred for clearance
|Houston||1001 Texas Ave #550, Houston, TX 77002 (USA)||9 am to 2 pm Passport pickup: 4 pm to 6 pm Monday to Friday||Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Nebraska||1 to 3 weeks. 6 weeks or more if the case is referred for clearance|
|San Francisco (CA)||228 Grant Ave, Floor 5, San Francisco, CA – 94108||9 am to 2 pm Passport pickup: 4 pm to 6 pm Monday to Friday||Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming||2 to 3 weeks|
|Atlanta (GA)||5607, Glenridge Drive NE, Suite No.725, Atlanta, GA-30342||9 am to 2 pm Passport pickup: 4 pm – 6 pm Monday to Friday||Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virgin Islands||6 to 8 weeks.4 more weeks if the passport is referred for clearance|
Documents required for Indian passport renewal in USA
Here is the checklist of documents required for Indian passport renewal in USA:
- Completed online application form signed by the applicant.
- Expiring passport: Original and most recent passport.
- 3 copies of the filled Nationality Verification Form/ Personal Particulars form plus 3 photographs.
- 3 recent (2” x 2” front-facing) colored photographs. If the passport has expired for more than 3 years, 8 photographs are required.
- A notarized colored copy of Green Card or Employment Authorization card or proof of legal status in the US, for example, H1B/ B1/ B2 visa, I- 797 approval notice, valid I-20, etc.
- Original passport. Affix the previous passport in case the passport is less than 5 years old.
- Photocopies of the first 5 and last 2 pages of the current passport.
- Highest qualification degree: Copy of the highest educational qualification degree.
- US address proof: US address proof such as Rental Lease Agreement or Home Mortgage Bill, Any of utility bills (electricity/ gas/ water/ landline telephone bill – not more than 3 months old), driver’s license or State ID, etc.
- Indian address proof: Indian address proof, such as Aadhaar card, driver’s license, Indian utility bill (electricity/ gas/ water/ landline telephone bill – not more than 3 months old), recent bank statement, etc.
- Change of appearance/ signature form: If you are applying after 10 years, you should sign and print this change of appearance form.
- VFS document checklist: Print the filled and signed checklist and tick it.
- Annexure ‘E’: Specimen declaration of the applicant on the plain paper.
- Birth certificate/ school leaving certificate
- Self-sworn affidavit
- Additional documents for child passport
Note: You may be required to submit some additional documents. Please check with the Embassy/ Consulate/ Passport Application Center in your jurisdiction for more information.
Submit all the documents in either a UPS or Fedex envelope only as specified on the VFS website. Other forms of submission may not be accepted. Only one application per envelope is permitted; multiple applications in a single envelope won’t be accepted.
Passport renewal in USA fees
Here is the breakdown of Indian passport renewal in USA fees:
|ICWF fee||USD 2.00|
|Passport fee||USD 75.00|
|VFS service fee||USD 15.90|
|Total amount||USD 92.90|
- Each applicant has to make separate payments.
- Convenience charges will apply for credit cards.
- Cash payment/ personal checks will not be accepted.
- If the fee is not paid fully, VFS will not be responsible for delays and consequential charges that may incur.
Also Read: How to check Passport Status in India
To ask any questions related to the rights of NRIs, PIOs, and OCIs, you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. You can also use the SBNRI app for investment in stock market/ mutual funds, NRI account opening, tax filing, etc. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also, visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.