For NRIs residing in Bahrain, opening an NRI bank account can be a convenient and efficient way to manage their finances. This blog aims to provide a comprehensive guide on how to open an NRI account from Bahrain, the documentation required and top Indian banks in Bahrain.
An NRI can apply for an NRE/ NRO account by filling up the form.
NRI Account from Bahrain
NRIs residing in Bahrain are required to open either a Non-Resident External (NRE) or Non-Resident Ordinary (NRO) account to facilitate their banking transactions in India. Many Indian banks have established a presence in Bahrain. Depending on their specific transactional requirements, NRIs/PIOs have the option to open an NRE account or an NRO account, or both. These banks assist NRIs in opening NRI accounts through online and offline channels. We have compiled a list of the leading banks that offer NRI account opening services in Bahrain.
Top Banks for NRI Account in Bahrain
|Bank’s Name||Interest Rates||Minimum Balance Required|
|State Bank of India||– 2.70% p.a. (Balances less than Rs. 10 Crore)|
– 3.00% p.a. (Balances Rs. 10 Crore & above)
|– Rs.1 lakh (Metro & Urban branches)|
– Rs.50,000/- (Semi-Urban & rural areas)
|HDFC Bank||– 3.50% p.a. (Rs. 50 Lakhs and above)|
– 3% p.a. (below 50 Lakhs)
|– Rs. 10,000 (Metro/ urban branches)|
– Rs. 5,000 (Semi-urban/ rural branches)
|ICICI Bank||– 3.00% p.a. for balance below Rs. 50 lakh|
– 3.50% p.a. for balance equal to or above Rs. 50 lakh
|AMB- Rs. 10,000|
|CSB Bank||2.10% – 7.00% p.a.|
SBI NRI Account Opening in Bahrain
NRIs residing in Bahrain have two options for opening a SBI NRE account or NRO account. They can either visit the SBI branch located in Bahrain or opt for an online application process by submitting the necessary forms to the Global NRI Centre in India. Below are the steps for opening an SBI NRI account opening online:
- Access the official website of SBI and fill out the NRI account opening application form available there.
- After submitting the application online, download it and affix passport-size photographs.
- Ensure that you provide the required dates, places, and signatures wherever necessary.
- Self-attest the form and get it attested by either the SBI Foreign Office, a Notary Public, or the Indian Embassy.
- If you are making an initial remittance by cheque or demand draft (DD), make it payable to “State Bank of India A/c [Applicant’s Name].”
- Once the form is complete, send it to the address mentioned on the form along with all the necessary documents.
- Your NRI account will be opened once the bank receives the original set of forms and documents.
For those preferring an offline approach, the following steps can be followed to open an SBI NRO or NRE account:
- If you are in India, visit the nearest SBI branch.
- If you are in Bahrain, you can visit the SBI Foreign Office or an associated Exchange House for immediate NRI account opening.
Documents required for SBI NRI account opening include:
- Identity proof
- Proof of non-resident status
- Proof of overseas address (such as passport, utility bills, rent receipt, etc.)
- Permanent address details (overseas and in India)
- Passport-size photographs
- PAN (copy) or Form 60 in the absence of PAN
NRIs need to self-attest the documents and then visit one of the following entities for further attestation:
- Embassy/High Commission
- Overseas branch of an Indian bank
- Foreign bank with an Indian presence
SBI Bank Address in Bahrain
- State Bank of India, Wholesale
Address– 9th Floor, GB Corp Tower, Bahrain Financial Harbor, Bahrain
Email– [email protected]
Contact Information– Tel: 17505157; Fax: 17212714
- State Bank of India, Retail
Address– P.O. Box 5466, Manama
Email– [email protected]
Contact Information– Tel: 17224956 / 17224705
HDFC NRI Account Opening in Bahrain
- Visit the NRI Banking page of HDFC Bank and select the NRI account option.
- Fill out the NRI account application form online and submit it.
- A bank representative will contact you to provide further assistance throughout the account opening process.
- Self-attest your KYC documents and get them attested by designated authorities.
- Once you have completed the NRI application form and gathered the required documents, forward them to HDFC Bank in India.
- If available, the bank can arrange for a courier pick-up from your location in Bahrain.
- Your NRI account will be opened within 5 to 7 working days.
- HDFC Bank will notify you of the account opening status through your registered email ID.
For those preferring an offline approach, the following steps can be followed to open an HDFC NRO or NRE account:
- If you are in India, visit the nearest HDFC branch for NRI account opening.
- If you are in Bahrain, you can visit the HDFC representative office for immediate NRI account opening.
The following documents are required to open an HDFC NRI account:
- Photocopy of a valid passport (ID proof)
- Copy of PAN (Permanent Account Number) or Form 60 (if PAN is not available)
- Copy of valid visa/work permit/Overseas Resident Card
- The address on the document must match the address mentioned in the application form.
- A passport-size photograph and an initial payment cheque/draft from your own account.
All photocopies of the above-mentioned proofs must be attested by any of the following authorities:
- Authorized officials of overseas branches of scheduled commercial banks registered in India
- Branches of overseas banks
- Notary Public abroad
- Court Magistrate
- Indian Embassy/Consulate General in the country where the NRI customer resides
HDFC Bank Address in Bahrain
Address– Office No. 4901, 49th Floor, Bahrain Financial Harbour, Kingdom of Bahrain
Fax– 1657 7005
Contact Information– Tel: 1657 7000
ICICI NRI Account Opening in Bahrain
NRIs residing in Bahrain have the option to apply for ICICI Bank NRI account opening, which caters to their various financial needs. Below are the steps to open an ICICI NRE account or NRO account online:
These are the steps to follow for applying for an ICICI NRI account online:
- Go to the official website of ICICI Bank and visit the NRI page. Fill out and submit the lead form.
- NRIs will get a phone call from an ICICI Bank customer service representative who will assist you in opening an NRI account.
- The representative will guide you throughout the online form filling process, document submission, and provide any necessary information.
- Once you have completed the form and gathered all the required documents, the bank will arrange a Free Courier Pick-Up service at your convenience to collect the form and documents.
- After the courier pickup, it usually takes 3 working days for the documents to reach India.
- If all the information provided is accurate and the supporting documents are in order, an NRI’s account will be opened within 5 to 7 working days from the date of receiving the form.
- NRIs will receive a notification via your registered email ID once your account has been successfully opened.
To open an NRI account with ICICI Bank, you have the option to visit their branch or representative office in Bahrain. When you visit the branch, the following steps will be followed:
- Request an Account Opening Form from the branch staff.
- The staff will provide assistance in completing the Account Opening Form and furnish you with all the necessary information regarding the various types of NRI accounts, required documents, and other relevant details.
- Once you have filled out the form and gathered all the necessary documents, you can submit them at the branch.
- After you submit the documents and form at the branch, they will be forwarded to ICICI Bank’s processing center in India.
- If all the documents are in order, your NRI account will be opened within 7 working days from the date the processing center receives the form. You will receive an email notification on your registered email ID once the account is successfully opened.
Documents required while opening ICICI NRI account opening through overseas branch:
- Valid Visa(work visa , residence visa/ permit, dependent visa)
Visa not applicable in case of PIOs holding foreign passport.
- Overseas Address Proof (utility bills – gas, electricity, bank statements)*.
*Note: Proofs should not be over 3 months old.
ICICI Bank Address in Bahrain
Address– P.O. Box 1494, Manama, Bahrain. Suite No. 306, Aldoseri Business Centre, 1, Govt. Avenue, Manama, Bahrain.
Fax– 17535688 , 17221210
Contact Information– Tel: 17535755, 17576100
CSB NRI Account Opening in Bahrain
Given below is the step-by-step process of opening a CSB NRI account opening in Bahrain-
- Visit the official website of Catholic Syrian Bank and navigate to the ‘Personal Banking’ section.
- From the drop-down menu, choose ‘Application Forms’.
- After the page loads, locate the option for NRI Account Opening Form.
- Within that section, select the form titled ‘Non Resident – Savings/Current Account Opening Form for Individuals’.
- Fill out the NRI account opening form completely.
- Then, send the duly filled and completed CSB NRI account opening form.
- Send the necessary supporting documents to a bank branch in India.
- Make sure that the applicant’s signature on the application and all accompanying documents are attested by: a bank official, Indian High Commission/Consulate/Embassy, or a Notary Public.
- Once the bank receives and verifies all the documents and forms, your CSB NRE/NRO account will be opened.
Below is a list of the necessary documents to open an NRI account at CSB:
- NRI account opening form
- Valid passport
- NRI status proof
- Proof of overseas address
- Proof of Indian address
- Recent passport-sized photographs
- PAN Card or Form 60
- The required amount may vary based on the type of account.
Please remember to self-attest all copies of the documents. In certain cases, you may be asked to have the documents attested by the Indian embassy or a notary in your country of residence.
NRI Account Opening through SBNRI App
You can apply for NRO and NRE account opening online. Click on ‘Open NRI Account‘ button on this blog or download SBNRI App. Take the following steps to open an NRI account on the SBNRI app online:
- Download the SBNRI app from the Google Play Store or App Store.
- Sign in using your credentials.
- Click the ‘Open NRI account’ button and select the bank with which you wish to open an NRI bank account from the bank list.
- Scan and upload KYC documents using the in-app scanning feature.
- Click on ‘Apply’ and you are done.
Due to lots of information and documentation required to apply for NRI accounts, NRI account opening process is lengthy and cumbersome elsewhere. You can download SBNRI App to apply for an NRI account with minimal documentation in just 10 minutes.