A Green Card or permanent resident card provides its holders with legal right to live and work in the United States. A US Green card is valid for 10 years. If your Green card has expired or is expiring within the next 6 months, you need to renew it to maintain permanent residency in the United States. You can complete a green card renewal application online or by mail. Here you will learn about the USCIS green card renewal process, timeline, cost and requirements.
How to renew your green card
First of all, you will still be a lawful US permanent resident even if your green card has expired. An expired green card just means that you have to get the latest version of it. With the latest version, you can stay and work lawfully in the United States and re-enter the US after traveling abroad.
You need to complete a 4-step process to renew your green card:
- Complete a green card renewal application online or by email
- Provide the required documents
- Pay the renewal fee, if not waived
- And submit your application
Green card renewal application
First you need to fill out Form I-90 (officially known as the Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) to renew your Green Card. The same form is applicable for both renewals of a green card and replacements.
After filling out the application, you can submit your green card renewal application to USCIS online or by email. Here are the steps you need to follow:
Green card renewal online
Below are the steps to submit your green card renewal application online to USCIS:
- Create your USCIS online account and sign in.
- Complete Form I-90.
- Upload the required documents, such as a copy of your son-to-expire or expired green card.
- Double check and digitally sign the green card application.
- Pay the green card renewal fee, if applicable.
Green card renewal application by mail
To apply for green card renewals by mail, you must:
- Download and complete and sign your Form I-90.
- Get a photocopy of your expired green card.
- Double check and sign your green card renewal application.
- Mail your Form I-90 along with the green card renewal fee to USCIS.
Mailing address for Green card renewal application
If you file by paper, send your form, supporting documents, and payment (if applicable) to one of the following mailing addresses:
|For US Postal Service (USPS)||For express mail and courier deliveries|
|USCISP.O. Box 21262Phoenix, AZ 85036||USCIS Attention: I-901820 E. Skyharbor, Circle S, Floor 1Suite 100Phoenix, AZ 85034|
- If you are applying for a green card renewal fee waiver, you must file by mail.
- If your card expires when you are outside the United States, contact the nearest US Consulate or international USCIS field office before filing Form I-90.
- If you have a 2-year conditional green card, the renewal application process will be different from these ones.
To renew your green card, generally you will need a photocopy of your expired or going-to-expire green card. However, if you need a new green card for other reasons, such as for lost or stolen green cards, you will need to submit other documents to USCIS.
Green card renewal fee 2022
Currently, a green card renewal costs $540 that includes $455 USCIS Fee and $85 biometrics fee. If you apply for a green card renewal fee waiver, you won’t have to pay either fee.
|Form I-90||USCIS Fee||Biometric Fee|
|Green card renewal fee||$455||$85|
|Renewal of minor’s green card within 30 days of turning 14 years of age and the existing green card will expire before his/her 16 birthday||$455||$85|
|Renewal of minor’s green card within 30 days of turning 14 years of age and the existing green card will expire after his/her 16 birthday||No fee||$85|
|If previous card was issued but not received||No fee||N/A|
|If previous card was issued with incorrect information because of DHS error||No fee||N/A|
You must not confuse a renewal fee with an original Green fee.
How to pay your green card renewal fees
- If you file an online card renewal, you will be redirected to pay.gov page to pay the fee electronically through a credit card.
- For mail, you can pay with a personal check, money order or cashier’s check in the name of ‘U.S. Department of Homeland Security’
Green card renewal processing time
Once the USCIS receives your Form I-90, it will be processed in 1.5 to 12 months. Meanwhile, you can check case processing time on the USCIS website.
How to check your green card renewal status
You can easily track the current status of your renewal application online on the USCIS check status page. Enter your receipt number to view your entire application history.
When to renew your Green Card
A 10-year green card must be renewed immediately if the card has either expired or within 6 months of its expiration. If you apply too early, the USCIS may reject your application and won’t refund the payment.
- Your green card is either expired or going to expire within the next 6 months.
- If you’re outside the United States and will return to the US after 6 months, but your card is expiring within 6 months, you should renew your green card as soon as you return to the United states.
- If your green card has expired and you did not apply for renewal before leaving the US, contact the nearest US Consulate or international USCIS field office before filing Form I-90.
NRIs, OCIs, or Green Card holders of Indian origin may have several India-related queries. To get tailor-made answers/ solutions, you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. You can also use the SBNRI app for investment in stock market/ mutual funds, NRI account opening, tax filing, etc. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also, visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.