A passport is an essential document for immigration into another country. Individuals traveling abroad for tourism, education, employment, business, medical treatment, and family visit will need to carry a passport with them. Moreover, the passport holder can use his/ her passport as an authentic official document in the form of an identity and address proof to avail a variety of public and private services. If you have to travel abroad urgently and need a passport instantly, getting a Tatkal passport should be your first step.
Also Read: Emergency Travel Document for Indian Citizen
What is Tatkal passport?
There are two ways to apply for a passport – a normal passport application and a Tatkaal passport application. The normal passport application process is exhaustive and time-consuming. Therefore, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has set up a ‘Tatkal Scheme’ for quick dispensation of passports. Individuals who need to travel abroad urgently can apply for and get a passport issued under this scheme within a couple of days.
A regular passport application is an ideal option when the applicant is not in a hurry and wants to complete the standard application process. Tatkal scheme can come in handy when you urgently need a passport to travel abroad. This scheme ensures faster processing and quick verification of a passport application. And the passport is issued more speedily.
How to apply for Tatkal passport
You can apply for a Tatkal passport online on the Passport Seva website or Seva app. Listed below are the steps to apply for the passport online:
- Register on the Passport Seva online portal.
- If already registered, you can log in to the portal with your ID and password.
- There you will see two options – Fresh Passport and Re-issue.
- Click on the appropriate option.
- Select ‘Tatkal’ option in the scheme type.
- Download the form and fill in the required details.
- Submit the form online once done.
- Schedule an appointment by clicking on the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ link under the ‘View Saved/ Submitted Applications’ tab.
- Complete the payment procedure.
- Click on the ‘Print Application Receipt’ link to print out the application receipt that has the Application Reference Number (ARN).
- Book an appointment at the nearest PSK (Passport Seva Kendra)
- Visit the Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office (RPO) on the date of appointment along with the original documents.
Tatkal passport fees in India 2021
Listed below is the structure of Tatkal passport fees in India 2021:
|Passport type||Tatkal Fees (36 pages)||Tatkal Fees (60 pages)|
|New or fresh passport ( valid for 10 years)||Rs. 3,500||Rs. 4,000|
|Renewal/ reissue of passport for minors (valid for 5 years or till the minor turns 18 years, whichever is earlier)||Rs. 3,000||NA|
|Additional booklet in existing passport (valid for 10 years)||Rs. 3,500||Rs. 4,000|
|Duplicate passport if the original passport is lost/ stolen||Rs. 5,000||Rs. 5,500|
|Police clearance certificate (PCC)||NA||NA|
|Replacement of passport for deletion of ECR/ change in personal details (valid for 10 years)||Rs. 3,500||Rs. 4,000|
|Replacement of passport for deletion of ECR/ change in personal details of minor (valid for 5 years or till the minor turns 18 years, whichever is earlier)||Rs. 3,000||NA|
You can make the payment of Tatkal passport application through any of the following ways:
- Credit/ debit card
- Internet banking
- SBI Bank challan
Who can apply for Tatkal passport
The concerned passport office decides on whether or not to issue a Tatkal passport to an applicant based on the urgency and other underlying factors. However, not everyone is eligible to get a Tatkal passport.
Applicants who fall in any of the below-mentioned categories may not be eligible for a passport under Tatkal scheme:
- Indian citizen born to Indian parents outside India
- Someone who has won Indian citizenship through naturalization or registration
- Someone who has been deported to India from another country
- Someone who has been repatriated from another country on the expenses of the GOI.
- Major name change
- Residents of Nagaland
- Naga origin citizens residing outside Nagaland
- Residents of Jammu and Kashmir
- Minors residing in Nagaland
- A minor child who has a single parent
- Someone seeking short passport validity renewal
- An applicant of a fresh passport due to lost/ stolen passport
- Someone whose passport is damaged beyond recognition
- Change in sex or appearance
- Change in personal credentials i.e. signature
Documents required for Tatkal passport application
Find the checklist of documents required to apply for a Tatkal passport:
- Verification Certificate as per Annexure F
- Any 3 of the below documents:
- Election card
- Service Photo ID Card
- Certificate of SC/ST/OBC
- Identity cards of Freedom Fighters
- Arms License
- Ration card
- Property documents
- Pension documents
- Railway Photo Identity card
- PAN card issued by the Income Tax Department
- Bank passbook
- Student’s Id card from a recognized institution
- Driving license
- Birth certificate
- Gas connection bill
Tatkal passport dispensation time
Time is the key aspect of this scheme. The objective of launching the Tatkal passport application scheme is to issue a passport with quick verification and faster processing. Under the Tatkal scheme, the passport is dispatched within 1-3 days from the time the applicant submits the application with required documents at the Passport Seva Kendra.
Under this scheme, an applicant gets an early appointment and the application is processed quickly through a separate print queue. However, Tatkal passport processing time would depend on the police verification status of the applicant. If the police verification status of the applicant is not required, the passport can be dispatched within 1 working day of the application being submitted.
Also Read: Check Visa Status with Passport Number
For other NRI services, including NRI investment in India, NRI account, NRI taxation, etc., you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.
The jurisdictional passport office reserves the right to issue a passport under the Tatkal scheme. Issuance of passports under this scheme would depend on the urgency along with other compelling reasons of the applicant.
No, residents of Jammu and Kashmir can’t apply for a Tatkal passport.
Yes, an eligible minor can also apply for a passport under the Tatkal scheme. The document requirements are different for minor applicants.