U.K. Short-Term Study Visa: Eligibility, Documents & Application

It is always exciting when students are getting ready to travel in order to study abroad. There are many preparations involved along the way. Students may need to apply for a short-term study visa in order to study the English language in the United Kingdom. This visa is for English language courses that span from 6 months up to 11 months in the U.K. We are going to go over the U.K. short-term study visa requirements here.

U.K Short-Term Study Visa
U.K Short-Term Study Visa

Duration of the U.K. Short-Term Study Visa

You can stay 30 days longer than the length of your course, as long as this is under 11 months.

Fees of the U.K. Short-Term Study Visa

The fees for a U.K. short-term study visa are £186.

Healthcare Surcharge 

There is a health care surcharge that is usually £470. This enables you to use the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK. 

You Cannot 

  • study on any other course or change your course while in the UK
  • study at a state-funded school
  • work or carry out any business (this includes paid or unpaid work, work experience or work placements)
  • extend this visa
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on this visa
  • apply for most benefits (public funds) or the State Pension

Eligibility for the U.K. Short-Term Study Visa

You must be 16 or older to apply for the U.K. short-term study visa.

You must provide proof that:

  • You have been accepted into an English language course that last upto 11 months and does not teach any other subjects 
  • you’ve been accepted onto an English language course that lasts 11 months or less and includes no other subjects
  • your course is with an accredited institution
  • you have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you
  • you can pay for your return or onward journey

If You’re Under 18 You Must:

  • have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
  • have the consent of your parent or guardian to study in the UK

Documents Required 

  • a current passport (with a blank page for your visa) or other valid travel document
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans – you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • evidence that you’ve paid your course fees or have enough money to pay them

You also need to provide:

Documents About Course

Written proof of the course you are joining is required. A letter of acceptance from the educational institution mentioning the course’s name, length and cost (including accommodation ) is an example of this. 

The following may be required

Additional documents that give evidence of your:

  • permission to be in the country you’re applying from (if you’re not a national)
  • financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies

If You’re Under 18

If you’re under 18 you need to provide additional documents if:

  • you’re traveling on your own
  • you’re traveling with someone who is not your parent or guardian

Traveling on Your Own

You can travel to the UK without an adult (someone 18 or older).

You must have written consent from both parents (or one parent if they have sole responsibility) or your legal guardian. This must confirm they consent to:

  • your visa application
  • your living arrangements and care in the UK
  • your travel to the UK

They also need to provide proof that you have somewhere reasonable to live during your stay in the UK, including:

  • the name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with
  • an address where you will be living
  • details of your relationship to the person who’ll be looking after you
  • consent in writing so they can look after you during your stay in the UK
  • Your parent, guardian or school must tell the relevant local authority about your visit if either of the following are true:

You’re Under 18 and Have a Disability

Your parent, guardian or school is required to tell the local authority in charge about your course if either of the following are true:

  • you’re under 18 and have a disability
  • you’re going to be looked after for more than 28 days by someone who is not a close relative (called ‘private foster care’)

You should provide a reply from the local authority if you have one.

Traveling with an adult

  • If you travel to the UK with an adult (someone 18 or older), you need to identify them in your visa application.
  • Their name will appear on your visa, and you’ll be refused entry to the UK if you arrive in the UK without them.
  • You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them.
  • The adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications.

Application for the U.K Short-Term Study Visa

Before you arrive in the U.K you have to apply online. You can apply upto 3 months before you travel to the UK. The online application includes booking an appointment at a visa application center. This is where you give your documents and give proof of your identity. 

The visa application center may keep your passport and documents while processing your application.

Processing Time for the U.K. Short-Term Study Visa

After you have applied online, proven your identity and given your documents, you will generally get a decision in around 3 weeks.

In some situations, you can pay to get a quicker decision. 

After you apply

You will receive a letter with the result of your application. This will explain the next steps.

Biometric Residence Permit 

More details for the biometric residence permit. 

Find a Visa Application Center 

Visa Application Center.

Attend Your Appointment for the U.K Short- Term Study Visa

After you locate your visa application center, you must attend your appointment for the U.K. short-term study visa application center.

Also Read: UK Visa fees for Indian Citizens [2022]

UK Visa for Indians: Visa Types, Application Process & Fees

How To Track Your UK Visa Status Online? [Updated]

UK Visa Interview Questions and Answers for Indian Applicants

To ask any questions related to the rights of NRIs, PIOs, and OCIs, you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. You can also use the SBNRI app for investment in stock market/ mutual funds, NRI account opening, tax filing, etc. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also, visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details. 

Ask Indian Friend Now


What are the fees of the short-term study visa ?

The fees for a short term-study visa are £186.

What is the cost of the healthcare surcharge ?

The health care surcharge is usually £470.

What is the duration of the short-term study visa ?

You can stay 30 days longer than the length of your course, as long as this is under 11 months.

What is the length of the English classes in the U.K. for which this visa is valid ?

These English classes span in length from 6 months to 11 months. 

Copy link