Once you have applied for a UK visa, you can easily track your UK visa application status online using the passport number or visa reference number. However, visa processing time may vary from one applicant to another. Some applicants may get confirmation within a few weeks while others may have to wait for months. Also, the results vary based on the type of visa you are applying for and the portal/center where you submit your application form. A prolonged wait to know the status of your visa can be frustrating.
Also Read: How to check Passport Status in India
In order to reduce or eliminate the frustration that comes with UK Visa waiting times, the GOV.UK website is trailing a new visa processing times service to help applicants check the UK visa application status online. On the website, you can find out how long it is currently taking to process a visa application in the country you are applying from.
Information required to check UK visa application status
You will need to have any of the following information to track the status of your application.
- Payment reference number: For tracking your UK visa status, you can use the Payment Reference Number that you receive at the time of visa application fee payment.
- Unique Application Number: Popularly called as UAN, it is a 16-digit number that can be found on all the emails and letters sent by the home office.
- Case ID (Identification Number): Case ID is an 8-digit number available on all the letters issued by the Home Office. If the case ID starts with the number zero, you can skip it and start typing the numbers following zero in the status form.
- Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) Number: If you pay an NHS immigration health surcharge at the time of application processing, you will receive the IHS (Immigration Health Surcharge) number. It is a combination of characters and numbers of the format IHS013256748.
The above details will help you track the status of your UK visa application.
Track Your UK Visa Status Online: Is it Possible?
The Visa Facilitation Services (VFS) are an outsourcing partner for the British High Commission’s Visa Department. VFS has a feature to track the status of a visa application online. However, you can not track your UK visa application from India on their website. You can only learn about the process.
There is no direct way for tracking your visa application online but you can receive updates related to your visa in the following ways:
- Message VFS for updates on your visa status: VISA – space – UK – space – Your Passport Number.
- Use the Reference Number present on the receipt/ invoice you received from Visa Application Centre to get update on your visa status from the UK Visa and Immigration Department
- You can also use the UAN, Case ID or IHS Number for tracking the status
- You can contact the UK Visa and Immigration Department on +44 2034811736 (£1.37 for a minute with other international call costs)
For UK visa related queries, you can contact VFS. For any NRI banking services like NRI account opening, NRI investment, Demat account opening, taxation, etc., you can get in touch with SBNRI expert directly on WhatsApp using the button below to resolve your doubts and queries. Also visit our blog and Youtube Channel for more details.
Yes, you can speed up the decision on your visa application, using one of UKVI’s enhanced services. These services allow applicants to get their visa applications processed by a member of the UKVI staff. However, the efficiency of the service will depend on which visa you are applying for and where you are based. Applicants located outside of the UK can seek help from their local British embassy or UKVI point.
The Visa Facilitation Services (VFS) are the outsourcing partner of the British High Commission’s Visa Department. They provide a feature to help applicants track their visa application status via SMS. You can send an SMS to 7333 from your mobile number. The SMS service is offered for all Indian network service providers both on CDMA and GSM platforms.
Here is the format of the message: VISA –space- UK – space- Your Passport Number.
Here are the steps to check visa status using your passport number:
– Go to the official website of the consulate or
– Indianvisaonline.gov website
– Go to the visa application tracking menu
– Key in your passport number and date of birth
– Type the captcha code and click ‘Submit’
– The current status of your visa application will be displayed on your screen
GWF number is a unique application number issued to the applicant at the time of application submission. While checking the status of your UK visa status via email or telephone, you need to give your GWF number. The UK Visa and Immigration department can’t give you an update on your visa status without a GWF number.
You can reach the UK visa and immigration department via telephone or mail as under:
– Phone number: +44 2034811736 (24 hours from Monday to Friday). Cost of the call is £1.37 for a minute with other international call costs.
– Email: Any inquiry via email costs £5.48 but follow-up emails aren’t charged.
The UK Immigration Department responds to mail inquiries in at least 2 days. For instant reply, you can contact them on phones.