Thailand is one of those places that certainly speaks for itself. Upon hearing the name, you are probably already thinking about nature, beauty, pristine beaches, wildernesses, lots of shopping, and of course, some delectable and lip-smacking Thai food. In that case, we have to agree that your thoughts are spot on! Keep reading to find out everything about applying for a Thailand visa for Indians and all the other helpful information you need to consider before applying for your Thai visa.
Do Indian citizens require a visa for Thailand?
Yes, all Indian citizens are required to have a visa to enter Thailand, depending on the reason for your visit. If you are just visiting Thailand for tourism purposes for about 2 weeks, then you are eligible for a visa on arrival.
Conversely, if you are going there for more than 2 weeks, on a business trip, or to visit your friends and family, you might be required to apply for a Thailand visa before your departure.
For Indian citizens, a tourist visa for approximately 30 days of travel can be issued on arrival at any of Thailand’s ports. A few individuals also inquire about the process of a Bangkok visa for Indians.
However, you should know that there isn’t anything like a Bangkok visa. Indians are just required to get a Thai visa.
Basic types of Thailand Visas
The two basic categories of Thailand visa for Indian citizens are nonimmigrant and general visas. General visas are further categorized into short-term visas, transit visas, long-term visas, and courtesy visas. On the other hand, non-immigrant visas are further categorized mainly on the basis of the duration and purpose of the visit and occupation.
Visa Eligibility Criteria of Thailand
The visa eligibility criteria of Thailand depend on multiple factors such as:
- Country of Residence: Based on their country of residence, individuals will be granted a short-term visa on arrival for either 14, 30, or 90 days. Other countries have a different set of eligibility rules regarding this.
- Type of Employment: You can check your eligibility based on your employment and profession.
- Purpose of Visit: You may have to check the eligibility criteria based on your visit’s purpose.
Is there a visa on arrival for Indians in Thailand?
Yes, there is a Thailand visa for Indians on arrival. Visas on arrival have been accessible for a while now, especially if you are planning to take a trip to Thailand. India is one of the 21 countries where citizens qualify for a visa on arrival, indicating they have it easy.
With these visas, you no longer need to visit an embassy anymore, and you can simply get your visa. However, a visa on arrival is only given to people if they meet the following criteria:
- You should have a genuine passport with validity for at least 30 days.
- The visit is firmly for tourism purposes.
- You should have a valid address in Thailand, whether an apartment or a hotel, that can be verified.
- As appropriate, you should have a confirmed return flight ticket to show you’re flying out of Thailand within 15 days of entering. Open tickets don’t qualify.
- You may have to show your flight ticket upon entering Thailand. If you don’t have a return flight ticket to prove you’ll be leaving Thailand within 15 days, you will most likely not be allowed to enter.
- It’s also mandatory to prove you have funds of at least 10,000 THB/per person and 20,000 THB/per family for your stay in Thailand.
- You are required to pay a fee of 2000 THB (INR 4,460) upon entry. The Thailand visa on arrival fee for India is subject to change without notice and must be paid in the Thai currency and in cash only.
How to apply for your Thailand visa
Every country essentially has the same visa application process. You can apply for your Thailand visa either offline or online. The process just requires filling out the application form and submitting it with your essential, country-specific documents at the concerned Visa application center.
● Offline Application
The process of applying offline requires visiting any of the VFS Global Thailand Visa Application Centers. You may download the application form the VFS Global website and submit it at your nearest offline center, along with all the relevant support documents and your photograph.
VFS Global has application centers in several parts of India, including Hyderabad, Chennai, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Kochi, Kolkata, Jaipur, Chandigarh, and Delhi. The timings for retrieving your passport are 8:00 to 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm (Monday to Friday).
● Online Application
Indian citizens may also apply for a Thailand visa online. For this, you need to visit the VFS Global Thailand official website to start the online visa application process. You can fill out the application form here and submit it online with your essential personal and passport details.
Once the form is submitted, you’ll need to choose one of the Thailand Embassy and Consulates for the application process, based on where you are located within India. The Royal Thai Embassy is in New Delhi, whereas you’ll find the Royal Thai Consulate in Chennai, Mumbai, and Kolkata.
Documents required for Thailand Visa application
Here are the documents that are required for your Thailand visa application:
- Two copies of the 1st and last page of your passport duly attested.
- Passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the return date, with a minimum of 2 blank pages.
- Your original passport and old passports, if any.
- Confirmed return air tickets
- Confirmation of your hotel with number and address
- 2 recent passport-size/colored photographs, taken against a white background. The size of the pictures must be 35 mm x 45 mm with an 80% face close-up.
- Two visa application forms that the applicant must duly fill and sign.
- Evidence of the monthly income and occupation: Income Tax Returns for the last three years, a letter from the employer certifying the employment, payslips, Student ID, Employee ID, a business license.
- The original bank statements for the past six months reflect a minimum balance of Rs. 52,000 (INR) that has been attested by a bank official.
If the applicant is employed, then they need to submit:
- A cover letter from the travel agency and company stating the apparent reasons for travel, along with traveler details.
If the applicant has Family or a friend in Thailand, then they need to submit:
- If the invitee isn’t a Thai citizen, copies of work permit, work visa, and passport are obligatory.
- If you intend to stay with Thai friends or relatives, ID proof and the invitation letter of the invitee are obligatory.
Thailand Visa Fees
Here is a breakdown of the Thailand visa fees for Indian citizens.
Fees for Thailand and Bangkok Tourist Visa
- A single-entry Tourist visa has a validity of 3 months and costs Rs. 2,000. Under this, the applicant can stay for not more than 60 days.
- A multiple-entry Tourist visa has a validity of 6 months and costs Rs. 10,000. Under this, the applicant can stay for not more than 60 days per entry.
- A single-entry Tourist Medical visa has a validity of 3 months and costs Rs. 2,000. Under this, the applicant can stay for not more than 60 days.
Fees for Thailand Transit Visa
- A single-entry Transit visa has a validity of 3 months and costs Rs. 1,600. Under this, the applicant can stay for not more than 30 days.
- A double-entry Transit visa has a validity of 3 months and costs Rs. 3,200. Under this, the applicant can stay for not more than 30 days per entry.
- A triple-entry Transit visa has a validity of 3 months and costs Rs. 4,800. Under this, the applicant can stay for not more than 30 days per entry.
Fees for Thailand Nonimmigrant visas
- A single-entry Nonimmigrant visa has a validity of 3 months and costs Rs. 4,000. Under this, the applicant can stay for not more than 90 days.
- A double-entry Nonimmigrant visa has a validity of 6 months or 12 months and costs Rs. 10,000. Under this, the applicant can stay for not more than 90 days per entry unless otherwise told by the Immigration Bureau.
- A multiple-entry N
- Nonimmigration visa has a validity of 3 years and costs Rs. 20,000. Under this, the applicant can stay for not more than 90 days per entry unless otherwise told by the Immigration Bureau.
Thailand Visa Processing Time
The estimated processing time for a Thailand visa for Indians is approximately 7 working days.
If you have questions about the rights of OCIs, PIOs, and NRIs, you can simply download the SBNRI App from the App Store or Google Play Store.
You can also use our app for making investments in mutual funds/stock market, tax filing, NRI account opening, etc. Also, visit our YouTube channel and blog section for more details.