Every year many foreigners including persons of Indian origin and their families visit India. The X visa is granted by the Government of India to foreigners for several reasons. The main purpose of the X visa is to assist in uniting a foreigner or a person of Indian origin with their spouse, children, and dependents in India. Today we will be explaining the process of getting an X visa extension in India.
The X visa can be extended by registering with the Foreign Regional Registration Offices (FRRO) or the Foreign Registration Office (FRO). In this article, we will be talking about the process for getting an X visa extension in India. We will also be covering:
- What is an X Visa?
- Eligibility for an X visa
- Documents Required for the X Visa Extension
- Indian X Visa Extension Process (FRRO Visa Extension)
- Indian Mission Special Endorsement on Visa
- Validity of the X Visa
Getting an X Visa Extension in India
What is an X visa?
An X visa, also known as an entry visa, is a visa granted by the Government of India to certain foreigners.
Eligibility for an X visa
An X visa, which is also called an entry visa, is meant for foreigners visiting India. The Government of India allows the following people to be eligible for an X visa:
- The spouse or children of a foreigner of Indian origin.
- A person of Indian origin (other than cardholders), who wishes to visit India for holidays and other purposes.
- Dependents of foreigners who come to India on visas like business, student, research or employment, etc.
Documents Required for an X visa Extension
- A fully filled visa extension form.
- Recent passport-size photographs.
- A copy of passport / VISA / registration certificate.
- Copy of valid and notarized Lease/Rent agreement OR Copy of C-Form from the Hotel OR copy of recent electricity/telephone bill along with the letter from the landlord, towards proof of residence.
- Original passport.
- Copy of marriage certificate along with copy of Indian passport and Indemnity Bond.
- Copy of birth certificate along with copy of either parent’s Indian passport.
Indian X Visa Extension Process ( FRRO Visa Extension ):
Upon arrival, foreigners visiting India on a long term X visa do not need to register with the Foreign Regional Registration Offices (FRRO) or Foreign Registration Office (FRO) as long as their visit does not exceed more than 180 days in a single visit. However, if they want to stay in the country for more than 180 days, they should get themselves registered with the FRRO or the FRO before 180 days. The Indian X visa extension can be accomplished through this process.
Indian mission Special Endorsement on Visa
Foreigners visiting the country must adhere to the special endorsement made on the visa by the Indian mission.
- At the time of registration, every foreigner needs to provide all the information required by the officer. If the information is satisfactory, they will receive a certificate of registration in Part III of Form A.
- Registration facilities are only available at the FRROs or FROs (District Superintendents of Police).
- An applicant must be physically present in order to get registered or solve any visa related issues.
The entry visa can be extended on a yearly basis upto a maximum period of five years. If a further extension is required, the proposal for extension is referred to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) for approval.
To ask any questions related to the rights of NRIs, PIOs, and OCIs, you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. You can also use the SBNRI app for investment in stock market/ mutual funds, NRI account opening, tax filing, etc. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also, visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.
All visitors except for nationals of Nepal, Bhutan and Maldives need a visa to visit India.
Spouse, dependent and children of a foreigner or person of Indian origin.
Yes, the applicant needs to be physically present in order to register.
Yes, it is.
A foreigner can stay up to 180 days. If they want to stay longer than 180 days, they need to register with the FRRO or FRO. The entry visa can be extended on a yearly basis upto a maximum period of five years. If a further extension is required, the proposal for extension is referred to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) for approval.
A person on an X visa cannot engage in business or employment or any other activity which is not in accordance with the X visa.
Not all individuals who come to India on a tourist visa are eligible to get it converted into an X visa. However, there under certain conditions, it may be possible.