Indian students choose Canada as one of the top destinations for study. Indian students constitute around 34% of total foreign students residing in Canada for education. Foreign nationals who wish to visit Canada for higher education need to have excellent academic scores and apply for a study permit. The permit works as a Canada student visa or Canada study visa for the duration of their stay in the country. To get a visa to visit Canada, you need to pay a Canadian visa application fee. Canada student visa fees in Indian rupees will depend on the current exchange rate.
Canada student visa fees in Indian Rupees 2022
As per the CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) website, the Canada study permit fee is CAD$ 150 (including extensions). The visa fee doesn’t include value added and service charges. Canada student visa fee in Indian Rupees is as under:
|Visa type||Applicable fees (CAD)||Applicable fees (INR)|
|Study permit for Canada (including extensions)||CAD$ 150 per person||Rs. 8879.83*|
*Canada student visa fees in Indian Rupees (INR) are indicative and subject to the current consular exchange rate.
The fee can be paid online through credit card or offline in cash at the visa application centre, or through demand draft at the High Commission of Canada. You need to pay the visa fees after submitting the visa application or after receiving the fee or receipt of online payment. The demand draft should be in Indian Rupees in favor of the High Commission of Canada. Visa application centres only accept cash payments. Keep the receipts of every payment you made, as a proof.
All foreign students need to give fingerprints and photos for biometric when applying for Canada Student Visa (including extending the study permit). You need to make an appointment to give your biometrics at any of visa application centres worldwide. Biometric fee for a Canada visa is as under:
- Individual Canada visa applicant: CAD $85
- Biometric fees for families applying at the same time: up to CAD $170
How to get Canada student visa from India
To get a Canada student visa, you need to furnish the letter of introduction along with all the other documents and meet with an Immigration Officer at the Airport. You have to handover your Letter of Introduction and the passport to the border control agency officer. After validating your documents, you will get the Study Permit to Canada.
Canada student visa requirements from India
Eligibility criteria for Canada student visa
You will need the following criteria to get a Canada Study visa:
- You must have secured admission in a designated learning institution (DLI)
- Should have enough money to cover your tuition fees, living expenses, transportation, etc.
- Adhere to the law and have no criminal record
- You need to get a police certificate (if required)
- Pass a medical exam (if required)
- You need to prove to an officer that you will leave Canada once your study permit expires
Due to Covid-19, if you want to visit Canada for study for 6 months or less, you need to get a study permit (which was not required earlier). You also need to attend an approved DLI with a Covid-19 readiness plan .
Documents required for Canada student visa
Here are some of the documents required to apply for a Canada Study visa for Indians:
- Valid Indian passport: The passport should be valid for an extended date to cover the intended duration of stay in Canada.
- Admission letter from DLI: Acceptance letter from the University/ Institute where you will be studying. The letter will be issued for the period of the course.
- Proof of sufficient funds: Financial documents that prove you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living expenses, as well as return fair. As per Canadian Immigration law, a student in Canada requires a minimum of CAD $10,000 to bear his/ her annual expenses.
- Passport size photographs: If you apply offline, you would need two passport size photographs. The size of photographs should be 35 mm x 45 mm and should not be older than 6 months. If you apply online, you need to upload a digital copy of the photograph up to the size of 4 MB.
- Statement of purpose of visit: You will need to submit a statement mentioning the purpose of visit to Canada and the reason for choosing a particular university/ institute.
- Immigration Medical Examination: Foreign students need to undergo an Immigration Medical Examination from the designated doctors. The doctor may refer you for laboratory tests and x-rays. The doctor will share the medical report with CIC.
Some additional documents may also be needed at the time of personal interview for academic and financial status proof: Here are some of these documents:
- Scores in TOEFL, GRE, GMAT or SAT tests
- School certificates/ diploma/ degree
- Intention to leave Canada after the completion of your study
How to apply for Canada student visa from India
You can apply for a Canada study visa both online and offline
Apply for Canada student visa online
You need to upload digital copies of your documents using a camera or scanner to apply for the Canada student visa online. You can pay the Canada Student visa fees using a valid credit card. However, you will need to visit the regional/ nearest Visa Application Centre (VAC) to give your fingerprints.
Apply for Canada student visa offline
Here are the steps you need to follow to apply for a visa on paper:
- Download the Canada Student visa application kit and read the guidelines carefully to fill the application.
- If any of your family members is visiting with you, then you will have to apply for a visitor visa for them and pay the applicable fees.
- Submit the duly filled Canada Student visa application and supporting documents at any of Visa Application Centres.
- You can track the status of your visa application online.
- If your visa application is approved, you will receive a notification from the Canada Government to submit your passport.
- You will get a letter of introduction and a temporary resident visa.
Canada embassy and consulates in India
|Canadian Embassy||Office Addresses|
|Canada Embassy in Delhi||7/8, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri – 110021|
|Consulate General of Canada, Chandigarh||SCO 54-56, Sect 17 A – 160017|
|Consulate General of Canada, Bengaluru||World Trade Centre, 22nd Floor 26/1, Dr. Rajkumar Road Malleshwaram WestYeshwantpur – 560055|
|Consulate General of Canada, Mumbai||21st Floor, Tower 2, Elphinstone Road (West) Senapati Bapat Marg- 400013|
You can contact Canadian Embassy in India for more clarity on visa fees. If you’re looking for any assitance for NRI services such as NRI account opening, NRI Demat account, NRI investment or taxation, experts at SBNRI can help you out with everything. Download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store to ask any questions related to NRI services. Also visit our blog and Youtube Channel for more details.
Yes, you can work while studying in Canada both on and off-campus, even without a work permit, if you meet the eligibility criteria.
If you leave Canada during the course of your studies, you would need to furnish proof of enrollment in your college/ institute on returning to Canada. If you have an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or visitor visa, it will be valid once you return to Canada.
You would need to submit your proficiency score for fluency in the English language to confirm your admission to a Canadian University/ Institute. IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, or GMAT, etc. all are acceptable.
– Canada study permit fee (including extensions) – $CAN 150
– You can restore your status ($CAN 200) and get a new study permit ($CAN150) i.e. $350
Close relatives of a study permit applicant, if they are 18 years or older, can sponsor the visa applicant. Moreover, a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act can also sponsor.
Who can sponsor for student visa in Canada?