For the purpose of paying income taxes and obtaining government benefits, every person who earns money in India is given a 10-digit alphanumeric number that is a Permanent Account Number (PAN). If you are an OCI ( Overseas Citizenship of India) and want to apply for a PAN card, you need to fill the Form 49AA. In this article, we will discuss all the details regarding the PAN Card for OCI citizens.
Who is Called an OCI?
A person of Indian origin who is a foreign national and gets registered as Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder under Section 7A of the Citizenship Act, 1955 is called an OCI. Therefore, a long-term visa known as an OCI card is accessible to those foreign nationals with close family ties to India. They are eligible for many of the advantages that NRIs and Indian nationals enjoy.
Do OCIs Need a PAN Card?
OCIs need a PAN card for the following reasons:
1. PAN card is mandatory if an OCI has taxable income in India.
2. OCIs need to have a PAN card to make an investment in securities or mutual funds.
3. If they wish to purchase property or vehicles in India.
4. A PAN card is mandatory to deposit amounts over a certain limit.
5. PAN serves a useful purpose to simplify the KYC procedure in most banks.
Can OCI Apply for a PAN card?
One can apply for a PAN card for OCI card holders by filling out the form 49AA which can be downloaded from UTIITSL (UTI Infrastructure and Technology Services Limited), Protean eGov Technologies Limited official website or NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited) e-Governance website.
How to Apply for an OCI PAN Card?
Form 49AA has 17 sections and a number of subsections to make it easier for applicants to complete the PAN card application. To apply for a PAN card, an OCI needs to take the following steps.
1. If you are applying online:
a. If you want to apply for a PAN Card online, you need to visit the website of NSDL or UTIITSL.
b. Click on the “Apply Now” Tab to fill the Form 49AA online.
c. Fill in all the necessary details and then click on the Submit Button.
d. Verify your details and click on Proceed to make a payment.
e. After the payment, you can download and print your pre-filled application form.
f. You can then paste your photo, sign, attach the necessary documents and post it to the mentioned address.
2. If you are applying offline:
a. The applicant must fill the PAN application form only in the English language and not in any other language.
b. The form should be filled in block letters and each box in the form must contain only one character.
c. It is advisable to use a ball pen instead of an ink one.
d. The applicant has to provide either left-hand thumb impression or signature on the photograph attached on the left top corner of the form.
e. Do remember to fill all the details accurately in the form as inaccurate information may lead to denial of the PAN application.
Documents Required for OCI PAN Card:
One can apply for a PAN card for OCI citizens by submitting the form and attaching necessary documents. The documents required for the PAN card application are:
(i) Proof of identity (Any one of the following)
2. PIO card issued by Government of India
3. OCI card issued by Government of India
4. Other national/citizenship Identification Number/Taxpayer Identification Number duly attested by “Apostille” or by the Indian Embassy/High Commission/Consulate in the country where the applicant is located or authorized officials of overseas branches of Scheduled Banks registered in India.
(ii) Proof of address (Any one of the following)
2. PIO card (issued by GoI)
3. OCI card (issued by GoI)
4. Bank account statement in the country of residence
5. NRE bank account statement in India
6. Certificate of Residence in India or Residential permit issued by the State Police Authorities
7. Registration certificate issued by the Foreigner’s Registration Office showing Indian address
8. Visa granted and Copy of appointment letter/ contract from Indian Company & Certificate (in original) of Indian address issued by the employer.
Where Should One Submit the Form?
1. After you have finished filling up the form, submit the form to NSDL e-Govt. or UTIITSL office along with other required documents.
2. To submit your printed PAN card application form at Protean eGov Technologies Limited office, the application needs to be sent at – Income Tax PAN Services Unit, Protean eGov Technologies Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016.
3. If the applicant has applied for the Permanent Account Number from UTIITSL, the application form along with the relevant documents can be submitted at any of the addresses mentioned below:
a. PAN PDC Incharge – Mumbai region
UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited, Plot No. 3, Sector 11, CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai – 400614
b. PAN PDC Incharge – Kolkata region
UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited, 29, N. S. Road, Ground Floor, Opp. Gilander House and Standard Chartered Bank, Kolkata – 700001
c. PAN PDC Incharge – Chennai region
UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited, D- 1, First Floor, Thiru-Vi-Ka Industrial Estate, Guindy, Chennai – 600032
d. PAN PDC Incharge – New Delhi region
UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited, 1/28 Sunlight Building, Asaf Ali Road, New Delhi – 110002
OCI PAN Card Fees:
1. To apply for a physical PAN card for OCI citizens, you will have to pay an amount of Rs.107/- (including goods & service tax), however, if the PAN card is to be dispatched outside India then additional dispatch charge of 910/- needs to be paid.
2. OCI PAN card fee for an e-PAN card is Rs. 72/- (including goods & service tax). Applicants need to mention “Physical PAN Card not required” on the top of the application form and provide an email ID to receive their e-PAN card.
You can use credit card, debit card or net banking for submitting the fees for the process of the PAN application.
Is PAN Card Application for NRI Different from OCI?
People who hold Indian citizenship and are settled abroad i.e. NRIs can fill out the Form 49A. Whereas OCI card holders or people of Indian origin (PIO) having foreign citizenship or foreigners who are not of Indian origin are required to fill Form 49AA. Both the forms, Form 49A and Form 49AA can be obtained from the UTIITSL (UTI Infrastructure and Technology Services Limited), Protean eGov Technologies Limited official website or NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited) e-Governance website.
Due to the lack of resources or right information, NRIs may sometimes find it difficult to apply for a new PAN card or correct the information in the existing PAN. We at SBNRI, understand this struggle and are here to help you out with everything. Download the SBNRI App to experience the one-stop platform for NRIs. Also visit our blog and Youtube Channel for more details. Click on the button below to apply for an OCI PAN card NOW.
OCIs can make the payment either through credit card, debit card, net banking or by using a demand draft.
If you have a PAN Card and later become an NRI/OCI, it is advisable that you continue using the PAN Card which you already have. However, you can apply for a new PAN Card as a foreign citizen by applying for it at the NSDL website.
No, you cannot do so. PAN Application form must only be filled in English and not in any other language.
Yes, if you are an OCI, you can apply for a PAN card by filling out the form 49AA which can be downloaded from UTIITSL (UTI Infrastructure and Technology Services Limited), Protean eGov Technologies Limited official website or NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited) e-Governance website.