A passport is an essential document for identification purposes. It is crucial for travel purposes. The Indian passport photo has several specifications which need to be followed. In this article, we talk about these photo specifications. We cover the various rules and regulations in place.
Indian Passport Basics
The Professional Passport Sized Photo must Adhere to the Following Specifications:
- Indian passports photos must be 2 x 2 inch, 35 x 45 mm, or 35 x 35 mm (5 x 5 cm, 3.5 x 4.5 cm, 3.5 x 3.5 cm).
- The photo background must be white or off-white
- The person has to look directly at the camera
- The entire face must be in the photo
- The person’s eyes must be wide open
- No shadows or marks should interfere with the photo
- There must be no head coverings other than religious requirements.
- All features of the face from the tip of the forehead till the very bottom of the cheek have to be visible in the photo.
- Both edges of the face must be visible in the photo as well.
- The face should appear in the middle of the photo
- The eyes should be clearly visible and must be open in the photo. Hair and glasses must not cover the hair.
Spectacles and Accessories:
Glare on spectacles can be minimized by tilting your head upward or downward.
You can also take off your eyeglasses when the photo is being taken
- The glare on eyeglasses should be avoided with a slight upward and downward tilt of the head. Alternatively, the person can remove their eyeglasses while the photograph is being taken.
- Sunglasses and darkened spectacles are not permitted in the photo.
- No sunglasses or dark spectacles are allowed in the photograph.
Indian Passport Photo Requirements for Infants
The passport photo requirements for babies, infants, and newborns differ from those for adults.
- Babies with an age less than a year do not need to have their eyes open in passport photo.
- Children less than 10 years old have more relaxed specifications regarding the height of the face, the positioning of the eyes and the face.
- The child’s facial expression and gaze also have more lenient specifications.
- The picture must be totally clear.
- No toys, chairs or people are permitted. The child’s mouth should be closed.
Indian Passport Photos Online
There are numerous websites that can show you how to take passport photos. You will just need to upload your image and crop it according to the specifications. This allows you to save money.
There are various specifications for the Indian passport photo. Everything including expressions, backdrop, gaze and clarity have to appear in a particular style. Those with children also have to take special care of their children’s photos. We hope that the details above will help you to put together the perfect picture for your passport. This picture will be on your passport for at least 10 years, so make sure you like it. Your passport will be valid for at least 10 years. We wish you happy travels once you receive it.
To ask any questions related to the rights of NRIs, PIOs, and OCIs, you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. You can also use the SBNRI app for investment in stock market/ mutual funds, NRI account opening, tax filing, etc. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also, visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.
Indian passports photos must be 2 x 2 inch, 35 x 45 mm, or 35 x 35 mm (5 x 5 cm, 3.5 x 4.5 cm, 3.5 x 3.5 cm).
Yes, they can.
No, they are not.
They are permitted only if they are for religious reasons.