Do you know that if you move to a new place or change your address, you will have to update it on your passport as well? And to change the address in the passport in India, you will have to apply for the re-issue of your passport.
The authorities will require you to submit certain documents with the application and current address details. Now, let’s discuss how to change addresses in passports in India through a few simple steps.
Procedure for change of address in passport
Below is the procedure for changing the address in your Indian passport according to the official website of Passport Seva.
- Firstly, you will have to login into your Passport Seva account using your id and password if you are already registered.
- If you are not registered and using the platform for the first time, you need to sign up on passport Seva’s official website.
- You will also need to provide your official birth date and name, and then you will click register now.
- Once you register, Passport Seva will send you an official link to your provided email.
- You will then log in to your email, and by clicking on that link, you will be able to activate your Passport Seva account.
- After your account activation, you can apply for a fresh passport or apply for a re-issue of your passport.
- You will need to download the re-issue of passport e-form that you will fill with all the valid information.
- After filling the form, you will upload that on the official Passport Seva website.
- When you upload the file, you will refresh the page and click on ‘pay and schedule an appointment at Passport Seva Kendra.
- You must select the nearest passport office to get there easily.
- The next step is to pay for the reissue application of your Indian passport through your credit/debit card, bank account (associated with SBI), or SBI bank challan.
- If you are confused about the fee you need to pay, go to the official Passport Seva website and use the online fee calculator and pay the amount.
- After the successful payment, download the receipt or take a screenshot. You can also print the application reference number/ appointment number.
- The last step is to visit PSK for your appointment with all the required documents. Make sure to reach on time and don’t forget any important documents.
How to apply for a re-issue of passport in India?
If you need to change the address of your Indian passport, you will have to apply for the re-issue of your passport. You can consult the additional guidelines to re-issue your passport by clicking on this official link.
Fee for change of address in passport in India
The fee for a change of address in passport depends on the type of passport you are applying for. Factors like the number of pages in your passport booklet, schemes (normal/Tatkal), and validity matter significantly. The amount you will pay for a change of address is the same as the amount you pay to re-issue your Indian passport.
|Various Passport Services||Fee for Change in Passport Address||Tatkal Application Fee|
|For the application of fresh passport or re-issue of passport (36-page with 10 years of validity) due to visa pages exhaustion||INR 1500/-||INR 2000/-|
|For the application of fresh passport or re-issue of passport (60-page with 10 years of validity) due to visa pages exhaustion||INR 2000/-||INR 2000/-|
|For the application of fresh passport or re-issue of passport for minors (36-page with 5 years of validity) due to visa pages exhaustion||INR 1000/-||INR 2000/-|
|For replacement of your 36-page passport due to any damage or loss/stolen passport||INR 3000/-||INR 2000/-|
|For replacement of your 60-page passport due to any damage or loss/stolen passport||INR 3500/-||INR 2000/-|
|For replacement of your 36-page passport (10-year validity) for ECR removal/ change in address or any particulars||INR 1500/-||INR 2000/-|
|For replacement of your 60-page passport (10-year validity) for ECR removal/ change in address or any particulars||INR 2000/-||INR 2000/-|
|For replacement of your 36-page passport if you need to remove ECR/ For a change in minors passport (5-year validity)||INR 1000/-||INR 2000/-|
|To get Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)||INR 500/-||N/A|
You need to be very careful when you are paying the fee for a change of address in your passport because once you pay for it, you can’t get a refund no matter what. And if you are planning to get your passport within a week through the Tatkal scheme, you will pay additional amounts above the regular fee.
The last thing to remember is that the fee structure is applicable for minors between the ages of 15-18 who are applying for a passport with 10-year validity.
Fee Payment Solution for NRIs
We understand that it can be difficult for NRIs to keep up with banking in India. And if you are an NRI who wants to change address in your Indian passport but is worried about the payment and currency exchange, you can do it through SB NRI; an online banking platform specifically built for NRIs.
SB NRI will save you from any fraud by giving you a transparent banking experience that you can get even on your mobile by downloading their app and letting them do the job for you.
Documents required for change of address in passport
If you need to change your address in your passport in India, you will need to submit certain documents along with the passport application form to the Indian passport office.
Here is the complete list of the documents that you need.
- You will need to submit your original passport with your old address.
- You will need to mention your current address, and for that, you will provide proof as well. And for that, you can provide your Aadhaar card, bills (water, electricity, telephone, gas connection, or income tax), running bank account details, or family details like a copy of your spouse’s passport.
- It is very important to submit a copy of the online application and the fee challan receipt you paid.
- You can also attach a copy of a reputation certificate given to you by
- Your passport is either ECR or Non-ECR, depending on your education status, and it is clearly mentioned on your passport. So, you will have to submit a copy of that page.
- If you have the validation extension page, you will attach an attested copy with other documents.
- Last but not least, if the passport authority has made any observation, you will submit an attested copy of that page.
Ensure that all the documents you attach are valid to avoid any unlikely event.
Indian passport holders living abroad, officially known as NRIs, as well as OCI and PIO cardholders can approach SBNRI.com for any sort of online banking, investment, legal and a host of other financial services. For NRI services, including NRI investment in India, NRI account, NRI taxation, etc., you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.
When you are applying to change the address in your passport in India, you submit copies of your documents. However, when you visit the official Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) office nearest to you for your scheduled appointment, you must bring your original/valid documents.
Your original documents will help ease the process of change of address in your passport in India, and you will get a new one in a few days.
If you need to change any personal particulars on your passport, you will follow the same procedure required to re-issue your passport. You will visit the official Passport Seva website, and there, you will fill in the re-issue of passport application form and state the reason for any change you want to make.
After that, you will pay the fee and schedule an appointment at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra office.
No, you do not have to be physically present at Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) because you will be applying for the re-issue of your Indian passport online for any personal particular change, including your address.
Once you apply for a change of address in your Indian passport online, you will pay for it and book an appointment at PSK for an interview.
Yes, you can easily apply for the Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) online, and you will get it in a few days if everything goes in the right direction. And if you are applying for immigration/ emigration or a Visa, you must get a PCC. However, PCC is not necessary for a change of address in your Indian passport.
Yes, your other documents need to have your current address to change the address in your Indian passport. If you are applying to change your address in your passport, you must submit documents that you can show as proof of your new address.
When you are paying a fee after submitting your application to change the address in your passport in India, you need to be very careful. If you pay the wrong amount or apply under the wrong scheme, you won’t get any refund. So, it is important first to calculate the fee using the fee calculator on the official Passport Seva website.