A digital signature is an electronic form of your signature used for authenticating the identity and integrity of a digital document or message you share. These days a lot of documentation is executed online and a digital signature certificate help to establish the identity of the sender. There are several benefits of a digital signature certificate for NRIs, including income tax e-filing.
Also Read: NRI Tax: Top 10 Mistakes made by NRIs while Filing ITR in India
Why do NRIs need a digital signature certificate?
Living away from India, it is not possible for NRIs to be physically present in India for authenticating their identity all the time. They can use a DSC (Digital signature certificate) for online transactions such as for Income Tax E-filing, signing web forms, e-tendering documents, company or LLP Incorporation, etc. It also provides the user with a high level of security for their online transactions, ensuring absolute privacy of the information shared using a digital certificate.
What is a digital signature certificate for NRIs consist of?
- Name of the user
- User’s public key
- The expiry date of the owner’s public key
- Name of the issuing certification authority
- Serial number assigned to the digital signature
- Digital signature of the issuer
Documents required to be submitted
Here are the documents you need to submit to acquire a DSC:
- Photocopy of your passport front and back should be attested by Embassy/ notarized of that country
- Attested photocopy of your visa (for NRIs and foreign citizens)
- Attested copy of resident permit (for foreign nationals in India)
- Bank statement with seals and signature
- If the applicant has a PAN, attested copy of the PAN is mandatory
- Photocopy of driving license (Appostile in case of NRI or foreign person)
Also Read: Consequences of not filing ITR in India for NRIs, PIOs, OCIs
Moreover, while conducting transactions in India or applying for services, you must know the difference between residential statuses, such as PIO vs OCI Cardholders, NRIs, foreigners, etc.
For NRI taxation, investment in India, NRI account opening, you can speak to experts at SBNRI. You can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store to ask any questions related to investment in stock market/ mutual funds, NRI account opening online and tax filing in India. Click on the button below to ask any question right here. Also visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.
There are three types of DSCs:
– Class I: For securing email communication
– Class II: For company or LLP incorporation, income tax return e-filing, obtaining DIN or DPIN, etc.
– Class III: For e-tendering and participating in e-auctions
For most business compliance, Class III is acceptable.
Digital signatures are usually valid for one to two years. The validity of the DSC can be renewed once its previous term expires.
The digital signature is sent to your Indian address. If you want to get it abroad, extra charges will be applicable on the same.