Hong Kong is a special administrative region (SAR) of China. Hong Kong is known as a financial hub, shopping haven, business center and tourist spot. There is a pre-arrival registration for Indians to be able to visit Hong Kong visa-free. We describe this pre-arrival registration process in detail below.
Pre-arrival Registration for Indian Nationals
We are going to explain the details of the pre-arrival registration process for Indians to be able to visit the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- Pre-arrival registration must be applied for online completely and correctly by Indians prior to their visit or transit through the HKSAR without a visa.
- Pre-arrival registration is not needed for Indians in direct transit through air for people who are not leaving the airport transit area
- An Indian can avail of the online service in order to apply for pre-arrival for free if they:
a. Hold an Indian passport that is valid for at least 6 months
b. Plan to visit or transit (except directly through air and not leaving the airport transit area)
c. will be in the HKSAR for a stay of 14 days or less
Pre-arrival registration does not apply if:
- An Indian has the right of abode or right to land in the HKSAR
- Is on Unconditional stay in the HKSAR
- Has valid permission to remain in the HKSAR for employment, study or residence
The categories mentioned below can visit HKSAR without pre-arrival registration, as long as the regular immigration requirements are met:
- holders of a valid Indian diplomatic or official passport;
- holders of United Nations Laissez Passer coming to the HKSAR or transiting the HKSAR to/from a third place for official United Nations business;
- those who have successfully enrolled for e-Channel service for frequent visitors
- holders of a valid HKSAR Travel Pass; and
- those who have obtained a valid entry visa for the HKSAR.
The applicant can sign up for pre-arrival registration on the Hong Kong immigration website. The information must be identical to that in the applicant’s passport. Upon entering the information, the applicant will be given the confirmation of registration.
Once registration is complete, the notification slip for pre-arrival registration for Indians must be printed on an A4 white paper.
- The notification slip must be signed.
- The notification must be used in addition to the Indian passport of the traveler
- If the traveler renews or replaces their India passport after pre-arrival registration, they must re-apply.
- A parent or guardian of any applicant who is less than 16 years of age must sign the pre-arrival registration notification slip.
- If the pre-arrival registration process cannot be successfully complete, the Indian national must apply for an entry visa with the immigration department in order to visit the HKSAR.
Validity of the Pre-Arrival Registration
- Pre-arrival registration is valid for 6 months
- The pre-arrival registration notification slip and Indian passport can be used together to visit the HKSAR visa-free. On each visit the registration allows the traveler to stay in the HKSAR for 14 days.
- A new registration is permitted one the existing registration has expired
Registration Enquiry for a Pre-Arrival Registration
The validity of the registration can be checked here. The traveler can also use the mobile app to do so.
If the notification slip is lost, defaced, damaged or not printed:
The traveler must print it out on an A4 white paper through ”View/Print Registration Notification Slip” online.
Immigration Clearance with a Pre-Arrival Registration
The notification slip does not ensure the traveler’s entry to the HKSAR. Immigration control has the final say about this.
A traveler entering the HKSAR must:
Satisfy regular immigration requirements such as:
- such as holding a valid travel document and being able to return to their country of residence or citizenship
- create no security or criminal disturbance in the HKSAR
- have no chance of becoming a burden on the HKSAR
- have a legitimate purpose of visit
- have enough funds to last the duration of their stay without working and have onward or return tickets (unless in transit to the Mainland of China or the Macao Special Administrative Region)
If the applicant is permitted to arrive in the HKSAR, they will be issued a landing slip with their name, Indian passport number and the conditions and limit of their stay in the HKSAR.
A traveler allowed to enter as a visitor into the HKSAR is not allowed to:
- work, paid or unpaid
- establish or become a part of any business
- become a student of a school, university or other educational institution in the HKSAR
To ask any question related to NRI investment in India, you can download SBNRI App from the Google Play Store or App Store. You can also use the SBNRI app for investment in stock market/ mutual funds, Pre-IPO, Asset Finance, Commercial Real Estate, Indian Startups Funds, NRI account opening, etc. To ask any questions, click on the button below. Also, visit our blog and YouTube channel for more details.
Is there any charge for pre-arrival registration or PAR?
No there is no charge for PAR.
If the regular immigration requirements are met, the following categories of Indians can visit the HKSAR without PAR:
a)holders of a valid Indian diplomatic or official passport
b)holders of United Nations Laissez Passer coming to the HKSAR or transiting the HKSAR to/from a third place for official United Nations business;
c)those who have successfully enrolled for e-Channel service for Frequent Visitors;
d) holders of a valid HKSAR Travel Pass; and
e) those who have obtained a valid entry visa for the HKSAR.
Also, Indian nationals who are a member of operating aircrew or operating seacrew on board vessels, or a contract seaman may also come to the HKSAR without PAR, subject to normal immigration requirements being met.
Registration can be done from anywhere.