In April 2018, the State Government of Kerala introduced Pravasi Pension Scheme to help lower and middle-income group Keralites living outside the country. The Kerala State Government set up Pravasi Welfare Fund, the first of its kind in the country, to provide Pravasi Pension Scheme to Non-Resident Keralites (NRKs abroad) and NRKs (in India). Let’s look at the various aspects of this pension scheme.
Pravasi Welfare Fund
Kerala Government had introduced a bill to pass the Kerala Non-Resident Keralites’ Welfare Act, 2008. Kerala Welfare Board was established by the Government of Kerala to create a Pravasi Welfare Fund that would provide welfare schemes to Non-Resident Keralites (NRKs). More than 4 lakh NRKs have enrolled as members of the welfare fund. There are many welfare schemes in the Welfare Act such as pension schemes, pension schemes for invalids, family pension schemes, medical aid, financial assistance to dependents of a deceased member, etc.
Key points about Pravasi Pension Scheme
- The Pravasi Pension Scheme was launched by the Chief Minister of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan on 21st April 2018.
- The scheme is for people of Kerala living outside the state or country.
- The Pravasi Pension Scheme is under the supervision of the Kerala Pravasi Welfare Board.
- People registered in the Kerala Pravasi Welfare Board will be eligible to get the benefits of this scheme.
- Non-Resident Keralites who have come back to India for permanent settlement can also get membership in this welfare scheme after a minimum of two years of employment.
- In this scheme, people aged above 60 years will be eligible for benefits.
- NRKs who remitted contributions to the Pravasi Welfare Pension Fund continuously up to the age of sixty are eligible for a minimum monthly pension of Rs. 2000.
- Each Non-Resident Keralite (abroad) member has to pay Rs. 300/- per month as a contribution.
- Every non-resident Keralite when returned and settled down permanently in the state has to contribute Rs. 100 per month.
- Each Non-Resident Keralite (India) has to pay Rs. 100 contributions per month.
- The contribution period is 5 years.
- The scheme is not available for the employees of the state and central government.
Kerala Pravasi Pension Scheme
Similar to Non-Resident Keralites (Abroad-Form 1A), Keralites who have returned to India from abroad (Form 1B) for permanent settlement in Kerala can contribute to the Pravasi Welfare Fund continuously up to the age of sixty years to get the benefits of Kerala Pravasi Pension Scheme. They will also be eligible for a monthly pension of Rs. 2000/- per month.
How to become a member
Every Non-Resident Keralite (NRK) aged between 18 years to 60 years is eligible to register as a member of the Pravasi Welfare Fund. The membership is divided into three categories as stated below:
1. Non-Resident Keralites (NRKs) who are working abroad (1A)
2. NRKs who have returned to India for permanent settlement after employment for a period of at least 2 years abroad (1B)
3. NRKs who are working in India outside Kerala (2A)
Pravasi Pension Application Form & Registration Form
As stated above, there are 3 categories of memberships. Click on the appropriate form to enroll online or download the form.
Pravasi Pension application form
You can click here to open the Pravasi pension application form.
Pravasi pension online registration
Here are the steps you need to follow for Pravasi Pension online registration:
- Visit the official website of the Kerala Pravasi Welfare Board.
- Find the ‘Service’ link and click on it.
- Click the ‘Online Apply’ link from the Online Registration drop-down list.
- You will be redirected to the Pravasi Pension Online Application Page.
- Select the registration type as per your category 1A, 1B and 2A.
- Enter the relevant details as required on the page, including the details of the nominee.
- Upload the self-attested documents such as your photograph with the signature on the right-hand side of the page.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button. Your completed registration application would be submitted successfully.
Pravasi Pension Registration Fees
The Pravasi pension enrolment fee is Rs. 200 for all categories. You can pay the registration fees online or remit at any branch of the prescribed banks, Pravasi Co-operative Societies Money Exchange (abroad), etc.
The monthly contribution for each category is as under:
|1.||Non-Resident Keralites (Abroad – A1)||Rs. 300/ month|
|2.||Non-Resident Keralites (Returned from abroad – B)||Rs. 100/ month|
|3.||Non-Resident Keralites (India – 2A)||Rs. 100/ month|
Kerala Pravasi Family Pension Scheme
If a registered member who is eligible to get the pension dies, his/ her family members (wife, children below the age of 21 years, unmarried daughter, dependent parents, etc.) shall be eligible to get a family pension of an amount equivalent to 50% of the eligible pension meant for the deceased member.
If a member of the Pravasi welfare fund (abroad – Form 1A) passes away due to illness or accident, one of his/her dependents (spouse, minor children, unmarried/ widowed daughter, dependent parents, sister, brother, or other legal heirs) shall be eligible to avail maximum financial assistance of Rs. 50,000.
In case a member NRK (Form 1B) dies, one of his/ her dependents shall be compensated with the maximum financial assistance of Rs. 30,000.
Pravasi pension scheme for medical treatment
If any NRK member suffers from critical illness, he/she can claim financial assistance up to Rs. 50,000/- during the entire period of his/ her membership. However, if an individual received any financial assistance for the same from the Central or State Government or any other agencies like Norka Roots, Local Self Department, etc. he/ she can’t claim the financial assistance from the Kerala Welfare fund under Pravasi Pension Scheme.
Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) and Non-Resident Keralites (NRKs) who want to send money to India have to open an NRI account and should know about the taxation on NRI investment in India. At SBNRI, we provide all these services for NRIs. You can also speak NRI banking sexperts at SBNRI.
Whether you want to open a new NRE/ NRO account or convert your resident account to an NRO account, apply for NRI accounts online through SBNRI. Download SBNRI App to apply for online NRI account in India with nominal documentation in just 10 minutes.